Whos best for broadband

ice

Looking for broadband for the home. Needs to be reasonably priced and reliable.
We don't have a TV so I guess NTL is out.....What would you recommed ?
We are near Dundrum in Dublin.

Cheers

I have NTL Broadband and think it is top of the pops!!

2mb download and 30GB a month cap for only €35 a month.

The only problem is it is not widely available.

Do you need a TV for NTL broadband?

You can currently get a 3 month free trial with UTV, so you might as well start with them. Just make sure you keep track of when it finishes or you're automatically locked into a 12 month contract.

I know everyone will pounch on this! We have Eircom broadband... and contray to our general unhappiness with Eircom, the broadband package is brillent! We had an ISDN line before, and when we were thinking about getting broadband (this was quite a while ago when broadband was only launched) we were contacted by an Eircom repersentative who said that since we were a FREECO customer (i.e. we had an ISDN line) we were entitled to a special deal... we were given broadband for €24.99 a month + €19.99 line rental... we've had this fantastic price for months now.

CGorman said:
we were contacted by an Eircom repersentative who said that since we were a FREECO customer (i.e. we had an ISDN line) we were entitled to a special deal... we were given broadband for €24.99 a month + €19.99 line rental... we've had this fantastic price for months now.

Give me this fellas name, I am paying €39.99 and €24 a month for this package and will be out of contract next week and want the same discount !

Eircom are technically fine but to expensive compared to BT and NTL

BT nowadays are €25 a month for 3 or 4 months including line rental :)

Has anyone noticed that the free broadband offers are gone? From all service providers.

There's not one of them out there now that's providing the offer now.

Coincidence???

tonka said:
Give me this fellas name, I am paying €39.99 and €24 a month for this package and will be out of contract next week and want the same discount !

I've no idea of the salespersons name, it was so long ago now, but nobody can understand how we are paying so little! It was supposed to be €29.99 a month + line rental (very good in itself) , but we are only ever billed €24.99 + line rental

Gosh yeah, 55/pm is brilliant, for bb & line rental.
Smart are doing this for 35/pm, bb plus line rental...............you got to put us with near-zero support though

BT Broadband and Line Rental is only now [broken link removed] - even if you're not a new customer and don't qualify for their €25/month 'loss-leader' (at least you won't be caught for the €50 connection fee. Plus you can save a further €2.50/month if you opt for online rather than paper billing - and why wouldn't you, with an always-on BB connection? :D

CGorman said:
I've no idea of the salespersons name, it was so long ago now, but nobody can understand how we are paying so little! It was supposed to be €29.99 a month + line rental (very good in itself) , but we are only ever billed €24.99 + line rental

Can you type in the exact product description(S) that appears on your bill for the BB and for the Line Rental because if I know what the product is called on their billing system I can ring them up and hassle them about it.

Thanks

...there could be an exciting time ahead here now on the BB scene with...

ESAT BB & Line rental for €40/mth (€50 connection fee. bummer!)
Smart BB & Line rental for €35/mth (not in my area though damn it!)
Eircom....'nuff said
NTL.....don't know & couldn't care aas I live outside the pale

...about bloody time the prices started to come down

DrM.. I seem to recall in the past that your were a Euphony advocate... how do the ESAT call charges compare to what you have on the Euphony Talknow €10/mth cost...

ninsaga

ninsaga said:
...there could be an exciting time ahead here now on the BB scene with...

ESAT BB & Line rental for €40/mth (€50 connection fee. bummer!)
Smart BB & Line rental for €35/mth (not in my area though damn it!)
Eircom....'nuff said
NTL.....don't know & couldn't care aas I live outside the pale

...about bloody time the prices started to come down

DrM.. I seem to recall in the past that your were a Euphony advocate... how do the ESAT call charges compare to what you have on the Euphony Talknow €10/mth cost...

ninsaga

You can do self install on the BT Ireland broadband if you order from the web site www.btireland.com. I have gone for the more expensive Broadband Plus - €50 a month including line rental. It gives you 2MB download and a bigger download limit, with a contention ratio of 24:1. The basic product is half this speed and twice the contention.

MB... the €50 still stands for DIY...
Installation

If you install the service yourself there is a self-installation charge of €50. If you choose an engineer installation you will be charged €190 for installation.

ninsaga

BT does have a charge for a self-install, but they waive it if you order online. That's unless they've changed their T&Cs recently. My order went in about 3 months back and the self-installation fee was waived.

Seagull said:
BT does have a charge for a self-install, but they waive it if you order online. That's unless they've changed their T&Cs recently. My order went in about 3 months back and the self-installation fee was waived.

I ordered mine 2 weeks ago online and understood that there was no charge for the self-install if ordering online. I don't have the service or the ADSL modem yet. :(

Hi

Im using Irish Broadband (ripwave) ... was the only option open to me at the time when I wanted to get it installed.

THB, very mixed results ... sometimes its excellent, other times the service is very poor with signal breaking up etc

Once my 12 months are over, expect I'll be looking to see if the alternative services are available in my area or not

Cost: - monthly cost has reduced to €24 a month (after initial payment of c€90 for the antenna box ... not sure if this is refundable)

Customer Service is very poor:
The average waiting time on the phone for support has been 10-15 minutes whenever I've phoned them & they support is only available Monday - Friday (not good for a company offering a home service, where the weekend is likely to be the busiest time for usage etc)

Regards

G>

I can highly recommend UTV. I have used their service for almost a year now and havent had a single problem. Monthly outgoing 29Eur. I also get free calls in the evening and all weekend (streets ahead of Eircom on that score).

here is a site that I discovered recently that gives info on all providers.

http://www.getbroadband.ie/

blogmad said:
I can highly recommend UTV. I have used their service for almost a year now and havent had a single problem. Monthly outgoing 29Eur. I also get free calls in the evening and all weekend (streets ahead of Eircom on that score).

here is a site that I discovered recently that gives info on all providers.

http://www.getbroadband.ie/

You have to sign up for their phone package at €25 per month as well (I too have UTV and haven't had too many problems with it), so the total cost is €55.

Back