Who'll Win The World Cup?

-3 days to a month of relaxed work-atmosphere (not everywhere of course, e.g. pubs) because of the world-cup mania! :D

My (not so much) outside bet is on Netherlands. They've had that lack of unity that Spain used to (and still do sometimes) and that's prevented them playing as a team to their full potential.

Just I've seen a bit of a difference of late. They still squabble as much, but there is more cohesion. The likely game against Brazil is a tough one for them, but if Robben and RVP can stay fit, them going far isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

I got Uruguay in the sweep stake.
sigh...

You could do a lot worse and will be guaranteed highs and lows. Not many teams left playing 3-5-2. I think they'll give you a good run in the group stages at least. Hopefully dumping France out along the way. That group is any one from the 4. OK, 3 because South Africa are useless.

Paddy Power is giving 11/4 on them beating France. With Suarez and Forlan up front anything is possible. And no Diarra for France.
Diego Lugano could come away from this tournament as the best prospect in the game. But being Uruguayan he might just as easily disappear in to mediocrity. Who knows with this team?

They will be the most cynical and dirtiest team at the tournament. I fully expect France to have lumps kicked out of them tomorrow. Not that I am condoning such behaviour ;)

Last edited:
Serbia to reach semi finals was a tip I received from a previously reliable source. 60/1 e/w on PaddyPower

Serbia to reach semi finals

They are due to meet England in the round of 16. Could beat them. Then probably France or Uruguay. Very possible they could do a Croatia.

This really is like the grand national. 32 start and 8/10 could win it. Just really comes down to momentum during the tournament.

My knowledge of this WC has gone up in the last week due to attending a WC quiz. I now know who Pavon plays for and that the answer to "which CITY will the world cup final be played in?" is not Soccer City. Much to our protestations we were not given that point on an outrageous technicality!!! We eventually lost.

Last edited:
Germany / Fabiano double is 200/1 not bad for a fivers punt.

Any takers on Austrailia at 150/1? There are so few teams that you can say with certainty will make it through to 1/4 finals that this may well be the year of the under dogs (but probably not!)

Any takers on Austrailia at 150/1?

Poor team but great goalie - with that in mind a safe bet might be for them progressing out of their group. The keeper's abilities might just save the day and squeeze them through? Not sure about odds, worth a shot though maybe.

Serbia to reach semi finals was a tip I received from a previously reliable source. 60/1 e/w on PaddyPower

Huh :confused: ?

60/1 with PP means it's a long shot. PP aren't a financially successful company for nothing

By a 'previously reliable source', I asume you mean someone who once got lucky with a guess ;) ?

Any takers on Austrailia at 150/1? There are so few teams that you can say with certainty will make it through to 1/4 finals that this may well be the year of the under dogs (but probably not!)

Poor team but great goalie - with that in mind a safe bet might be for them progressing out of their group. The keeper's abilities might just save the day and squeeze them through? Not sure about odds, worth a shot though maybe.

PP odds to get out of the group:
Germany 1/5
Serbia 8/11
Ghana 7/5
Australia 11/5

Just thinking about how they will fair out with climate etc and they have some battlers which carries alot of teams through groups, i won't be backing them but they could prove a surprise maybe reach 1/4 final a bit like us in 1990.

Just to clarify if you want to bet this

The 60/1 is only available at each-way odds of 1/2 1,2 which means that each-way portion only pays out if Serbia reach the final.

If you want to back them to reach the semi-final then you have to back them at 40/1 each-way 1/4 1,2,3,4 with Paddy.

This means that you are getting 10/1 on them reaching the semi-final

Beat me to it DB74. I was in bookies the other evening and was surprised to see E/W odds for world cup was only on first and second place.

Speaking of Serbia, Pat Kenny had Eamonn Dunphy, Brian Kerr and some other pundit on his radio show this morning and they were talking up Serbia as a possible dark horse.

I thought you didn't know anything about football.

It's just half time in the opening match. I saw the last five minutes. Does anyone else find that constant background noise, like a swarm of bees, extremely irritating? :mad:

Back