who is responsible for velux windows?

Leaky1

I am an owner in a large apartment block. All the top-floor apartments have woodframe velux windows fitted. Can I ask who is responsible for maintaince of these windows? By maintainance I mean things such as treating the wood frames, and eventual replacement as they break. My own velux frames are approx 18yrs old.

I am also on the boards of directors and curious whether we should be looking into upkeep of the veluxs as a preventative measure.

Have a look at the lease (agreement between the owner and the management company). It "should" set out what is the owner's responsibility and what is the management company's duties and responsibilities.

Windows can be a bit of a grey area for many developments so you will need to check your lease carefully for clues. We had to engage our solicitor for an opinion as well as it wasn't completely clear from the wording of the lease.

In our place individual owners are responsible for the maintenance of their own windows and doors, however the management company have to be informed and any replacements authorised. Our original window manufacturer is now out of business so the OMC have an approved supplier who will make replacements to a particular specification as the replacements need to be uniform.

Back