who can use laser card for transactions..

S

stingey

Can a person (wife) other than the person named on the laser card (husband) use that card in a shop for a pin transaction?

If you want to spread the joy, just post your PIN. :D

Chip n' PIN means that all you need now is the PIN for the card and off you go - no id, no signature, no phone calls.

I guess the retailer could refuse, especially if they look at the name on the card.

E.g. if 'John' presents a card that is in the name of 'Mary' well 'John' is clearly not 'Mary' (transgender issues aside....)

I think if the pin is entered correctly its very unlikely that a shop will check the name

I check names but have never refused a card so long as the pin was entered. Not technically correct but we tend to know most of our customers. I also use my husbands card in Tesco etc. and it's never been mentioned..mostly because I put the card in the machine myself...and if I use his card at my own place of work I wouldn't bother to argue the point with myself ;)

If you read the T & C of your laser card it should state that you should not disclose your pin no to a third party. The card should only be used by the account holder.
A retailer would be quite within their rights to refuse even if the pin is known.

Back