Who can change locks on a house?

terrysgirl33

There may (or quite likely may not) be an awkward situation developing in the extended family. One issue that has come up is changing the locks on a house, and who has the right to do this? Is there anything to stop someone calling up to a house with a locksmith, saying they have lost their keys, and getting a locksmith to change the locks on a house? Do you have to prove you have a right to have access to a house?

I'm not sure if this should be here or in 'homes and gardens', please let me know if it should be posted elsewhere.

I use a particular locksmith and he would be uber careful about a situation like this.

I know I'd be saying to the person alleging they'd lost their keys that they should take back a set that they've left with a neighbour or friend!

There is no reason why the owner of a house cannot change the locks on their own house - they just let the locksmith in and, possibly, provide proof of identity/address validation.

It's a really bad idea to think of changing the locks against an owners wishes - what is to stop them promptly coming right back with their own locksmith?

mf

Yeah, the owner of the house no longer has keys to the house. As far as I know, it is a complicated situation and I may well be getting stuff wrong, quite apart from stuff I just didn't understand.

Depending on the full facts of the case the actions in question might constitute a criminal offence.
The offence would be that of criminal damage. See Criminal Damage Act 1991.
Link http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1991/act/31/enacted/en/print.html

P.S. If you wanted to get really technical about it consider Article 40 of the Constiution which provides, inter alia, that "The dwelling of every citizen is inviolable and shall not be forcibly entered save in accordance with law".

Back