Whitechurch, Rathfarnham

L

LindseyK

Hello,

Looking into buying a three bed in Whitechurch Estate in Rathfarnham. I know it used to be a council estate. Just wonering if anybody lives / lived there or knows anybody who does / did and what its like?

Thank You.

L.

I lived there along time ago, not as bad as it was but it still def has an element, hope this helps

Hello,

Looking into buying a three bed in Whitechurch Estate in Rathfarnham. I know it used to be a council estate. Just wonering if anybody lives / lived there or knows anybody who does / did and what its like?

Thank You.

L.

Only been there a couple of times and was quite rough.

Was looking at the estate myself, my cousin from the area warned me off. Though I reckon it's ok.

I know a person who lived there. He bought a semi-d house but only lived there for 2 years before selling. He didn't like the area particularly the anti-social behaviour. I visited him several times and didn't notice anything too bad - however I used to only visit during the day. This was several years ago (circa '99) so the area may have improved since then ? I'd recommend taking a drive up there on a fine Friday evening/night, park up and have a good walk around. Are there gangs of lads hanging around ? Any signs of al fresco drinking etc..?

As Gianni suggests, I would advise driving up there between midnight and 2 am and see for yourself if there's any activity going on that you wouldn't find acceptable...

Yep, walk around it for an hour after 11pm on a dry night.
The rain keeps the scumbags in.

If you are still alive and havent been scared to death then buy it :)

I'm renting in an estate close to whitechurch, its not as bad as its reputation and there are some very decent folk living there but there is an unsavoury element. There is certainly a pyromaniac living close by - over the past year I have seen 3 burnt out cars, 1 bus set alight, the plastic bottle recycling skip also set alight on at least 2 occasions. I would definately avoid anywhere close to the shops / pub as thats where the trouble seems to be centered. Away from that central area is relatively quiet...the location is good - Its close to Marlay Park, Rathfarnham & Nutgrove and the bus route has just changed - the irregular 15c has been axed and replaced by a much more frequent 15b (albeit a longer route).

Plenty of Rathfarnham snobs in here isn't there?:p

As Badge said, avoid buying around the shops and pub, but the rest of the estate is a lot better. The lawn, for example, is as quiet as anywhere in the rest of beautiful Rathfarnham.:)

Rathfarnham itself is such a terrible dive - especially around the village - I mean teenagers hanging around everywhere, graffiti and the noisy exhaust cars

signed
Dalkey Resident.

Get real folks - Whitechurch is just a reconstituted council estate - warts and all - the houses retail now in the LOW three hundreds - so any hassle factor is priced in - having lived near that area for many years - I would consider it NO worse than any other similar council house area in southside Dublin.

BTW given the healthboard tenants and social housing planned for the Ballycullen / Stocking lane area - thats the trouble area for Gardai now

by the way, it's ballyboden not rathfarnham. as people have said the area around the shops is a bit dodgy but the rest of it is okay. taylors lane is a bit of a nightmare traffic wise at the moment and will be for a bit longer until the road widening is finished. decent schools nearby too.

i'm originally from moyville, right beside whitechurch and we always thought we were from ballyboden, suppose it's parish based, it's within 'greater' rathfarnham i suppose.
i'm sure the change has really all been led by estate agents really but i'd be sad to see ballyboden disappear from the map. same with all the other 'local' areas like ballyroan, knocklyon - sure i remember when it was all fields past moyville.......
i'll get me pipe and slippers..

My advice is to give this area a wide berth...regardless of the rights or wrongs of branding an area a hellhole you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with positive things to say about Whitechurch.

Apart from on this thread, obviously.

Lol...I don't consider "well X part is pretty dodgy but this corner isn't bad" particularly positive. Put it this way, if you had a choice (which the OP does obviously) you wouldn't live there.

Back