Whitechurch, Rathfarnham

Thanks for all the info and advice. I am from D14/D16 area and never knew anyone from Whitechurch so never really had a reason to go there. Told my mam about the house I was looking at there and she nearly died haha But if I want to buy / stay in the area, its the only area I can afford for now, and everyone has to start somewhere.

Well have you looked up in Ballycullen/oldcourt area which is very close by - reasonably priced houses apts up there now. You could probally get a decent duplex up Ballycullen/old court for the mid 300's.

Don't know the estate myself but I know a few people who rented a house there a few years ago and were broken into at least once a year.

Friends of mine bought there about 4 years ago & is very happy there. They've had no problems & have good nieghbours. They don't live near the shops / pub or near any large green area.

I've come home from their home numerous times between 12 - 3am on a Friday / Saturday night in a taxi which inevitably drives past the shops / pub & have seen people hanging around but have never seen any trouble

The Bus is now stopping at Ballyroan Church. It'll be safe enough there! Many's a time I got the bus from there when I were a lad.

Purple - With the greatest respect, there was many a thing we all did in our youth that just wouldn't be advisable now!

Purple - With the greatest respect, there was many a thing we all did in our youth that just wouldn't be advisable now!

So the Driver getting attacked is Ok Then???:mad:

The 15B is my local bus and has only started going to Whitechurch 2 weeks ago- ballyroan church used to be its terminus before then. You feel sorry for the people up there now who are denied a good bus route because of these idiots.

Well they got someone for it now

[broken link removed]

Hopefully its the right guy. The Gards dont seem to catch many people these days!

I have friends in whitechurch, they've never mentioned any problems, I don't think they are ever interfered with. We go to their place for dinner and I've never noticed anything bad just kids hanging around. It's obviously not a fantastic area but not the worst I'm sure.

So the Driver getting attacked is Ok Then???:mad:

Of course not, you obviously misundestood. Please read my comment in the context in which it was written, thank you, ie Ballyroan used to be safe etc - I was referring to the fact that places which were "safe" and things which were "safe to do" years ago are no longer so.

Of course not, you obviously misundestood. Please read my comment in the context in which it was written, thank you, ie Ballyroan used to be safe etc - I was referring to the fact that places which were "safe" and things which were "safe to do" years ago are no longer so.
Yes, I thought Luckycharm was a bit OTT there.
Anyway, I haven't done it in years but I'd bet that getting the bus in Ballyroan is still safe enough. :D

Fair enough, I Grew up around ballyroan and my folks still live there, it is still safe from my experiences. Whitechurch has always had a bad reputation and it does not seem much has changed.

Hello,

Looking into buying a three bed in Whitechurch Estate in Rathfarnham. I know it used to be a council estate. Just wonering if anybody lives / lived there or knows anybody who does / did and what its like?

Thank You.

L.

I remember when it was all fields....

it looks rough as rough these days.

I bought a house in Whitechurch 3 years ago and am very happy there. I would be from what is considered a 'better' area in Churchtown but could not afford to buy anything else in the area on my own and did'nt want to head out to Lucan etc so I took the plunge and bought here.

I have never had a problem, I am very lucky, have fantastic neighbours who do the little things like bringing in the bins etc for me! Yes, there are quite a few young people around but to be honest they never bother you. I have friends in Ballinteer who have terrible trouble with 'gangs' hanging around. I do drive by the shops and pub to get to my house but have never have noticed anything major there either, nothing you would'nt see outside any other pub (have never been in though!).

It did have any awful reputation when I was growing up but so did Nutgrove Avenue and it is considered a good area now.

Hope this helps

Whitechurch is quite a bad area because it is near willbrook/Marian but somebody parts of whitechurch are nice like near st endas park

This thread has been inactive for 12 years. Why the sudden urge to comment on whitechurch?
It just goes to show, some areas don't change much over time

Back