White kitchen - solid wood or Vinyl?

Yvonne 062

Hello all,

Hoping to buy a white kitchen soon. Received conflicting advice from two suppliers. One says go with painted solid wood all the way - units are more sturdy they will last the test of time - expensive. Other guy says painted wood either sprayed or hand painted will show wear 'n' tear in a couple of years, chipping, cracking, staining. Not good with kids or people who cook alot (guilty on both counts!) - His option is cheaper. He reckons the vinyl units these days are very sturdy compared with even 10 years ago.
Does anyone have any insider / personal knowledge that will help us make the right decision? Kitchen is most important room of the house to me..... Thanks!

Hello all,

Hoping to buy a white kitchen soon. Received conflicting advice from two suppliers. One says go with painted solid wood all the way - units are more sturdy they will last the test of time - expensive. Other guy says painted wood either sprayed or hand painted will show wear 'n' tear in a couple of years, chipping, cracking, staining. Not good with kids or people who cook alot (guilty on both counts!) - His option is cheaper. He reckons the vinyl units these days are very sturdy compared with even 10 years ago.
Does anyone have any insider / personal knowledge that will help us make the right decision? Kitchen is most important room of the house to me..... Thanks!

do you mean solid doors and units or just doors?

solid doors look much better and will last longer but like any paint they will mark(just like a wall in your house)but in 5 years time or so they can be painted again.also with solid doors any design is possible,different shapes,sizes curves etc

vinyl is easier to clean but eventually stains will become harder to get rid of.heat can also damage the doors,from your oven or even steam from your kettle.the vinyl will peel and crack at the edges.they cant be repaired

solid is better but there can be a big price difference between the two.some suppliers say go for vinyl because there is much less work involved in the manufacture of the kitchen,so less manufacturing costs for them.,so you should go to few places who supply both not one or the other as they will be biased

hi yvonne062
there is another option of having a raw mdf door spray painted to the colour of your choice. You will be getting a 'solid sprayed' look for a lot less than you would pay for solid. The mdf is more stable than soild wood. For a heavily used kitchen where there is kids i would steer toward vinyl. Easily cleaned and not so easy marked. It is the cheaper option and also if it is looking tired you could change the doors down the line and this would be still less than the price of the solid.

P.s insider knowledge

Dont touch solid if you have a lot of traffic, ours is showing a lot of wear and tear after just two years, spills are difficult to remove and we have dogs and a lot of people in and out. I'm really sorry I didn't just get a normal wood kitchen now nut if you really want white or cream go with vinyl.

Definately not painted wood. My heart is broken with my painted doors - stains, cracks etc. I wish I'd listened to the advice I asked for and received 5 years ago and gone vinyl. Have even had my doors repainted last year and they already look tatty again.

Hello all,
How refreshing to hear the cheaper option is the better option! Will definitely go with the vinyl now thanks for the feedback. I know the overall 'look' won't be as good but we'll be the ones looking at it most of the time..so as long as it's easy to clean and looks fresh I'll be happy.
Thanks

Back