White Kitchen Sink

MissRibena

Hi everyone

I'm dickying up my kitchen. I've painted the presses, changed the knobs and was planning on changing the worktop, sink and taps. I had my heart set on a white sink (and draining board) but it looks like my units might not accomodate it.

The units are 500mm deep and my worktop is 600mm deep. The sink cut-out size is 845 x 486mm, the actual unit is 860 x 500mm. The bowl is 355x420. The inside frame of the unit is 412mm so I thought I could shave off 8mm from the chipboard on the inside frame of the unit to get the sink in and everything would be cushtie. Anyway the sink man tells me it's all a bit tight and my sink edge might be up against the wall which is not a runner, he reckons.

I'm very sad. So now I'm looking for a smaller white sink and draining board and not having any joy. Anyknow know of a white sink unit that is less than 500mm deep (and cheap cos this is supposed to be only for a few years)?

Thanks
Rebecca

Why bother with a white sink? If its enamel it will scratch and stain in time. I know they look good in magazines and showrooms but I'm not sure how practical they will look in reality. Also will show up limescale (if you live in a hard water area) and tea stains. I think you should save your money and buy a Carron Phoenix stainless steel bowl and drainer, complete with new taps for about €175 (maybe less, they have them on offer sometimes). It'll look good, stay clean and stand up to a bit of abuse...........

Hi Carpenter
Thanks for that but this is a secondary sink. My back kitchen has a stainless steel one which gets all the hacking. In my experience of a hardwater area, limescale will show up on anything if you don't keep an eye on it and people keep saying that about teastains but I just don't get it, unless you leave teabags in the sink (yuck) or don't rinse your crockery straight away (double yuck). So if you know somewhere with a smaller white sink unit ...
Rebecca

Thanks for that Carpenter. I have their brochure but it doesn't show the circular sink that the website has, which is an option (albeit not 100% perfect without a draining board and basins fitting problems). Now all I have to do is decide whether to go with my heart or my head :)

Rebecca

If you are talking about a white plastic (as opposed to enamal) sink I suggest you reconsider. They get brown stains very quickly and do not look good.

what about a Belfast sink. They come in different sizes - don't know what you could do about the draining board for it.

Back