Whistle Blowing in the Health Services: Is there anything in leglislation or T&C's?

Joody1

Hope I am on the right thread for this question...
Does anyone know if there is a clause in the Health Services i.e., wrongdoing in a department, to restrict employees from whistle blowing

Re: Whistle Blowing

Not that I am aware of - I worked within a major hospital. However you would need to be careful as I have seen where there was an anonamous whistle blower who leaked information to a local TD and to the daily papers.

PWC were brought in to establish who did it!

The person was never caught..

Surely it is your civic duty to report wrong doing in any government department!
Why would you think that there would be a restriction on it? I not sure I understand what you mean by your question?

I agree it is people duty to report when they see that people are neglected in hospital and care home but this does not happen with elderly people. I remember when my elderly mother was in Naas hospital that was 10 years ago, it was such a dreadful place for my mother, as she was elderly she was not give a bed in a ward she was in the corridor ready to go out as soon as possible. Nurses were uncaring and not attentive more interesting in their own nights in groups in the ward not caring about their patients and there were lots of them. There are so many more issue that I had with the hospital but it would be too distressing to into here. I reported the hospital but was too late as my mother died soon afterwards. I know they have upgraded this hospital and it is a nice place to work in now but the place has changed for employees not for patients.

You can see from the clip below that in the UK that this courageous nurse put her own job at risk to get some thing done for her patients. This was only after she reported her concerns many times to manager to no avail. I cannot understand why doctors were not proactive with their condemnation of the what was happening in this dreadful hospital, apparently in order for nurses to be able to cope they have to switch off from what was happening to patients. As a result of her whistle blowing this hospital has improved remarkable for their patients but if the nurse had not did what she did then it would still be same today with lots of sick people suffering unnecessarily.

I do not think Ireland employees are protective in reporting irregularities within an organizations and they turn a blind eye to others suffering. That has been my experience.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006t14n

Does anyone know if there is a clause in the Health Services i.e., wrongdoing in a department, to restrict employees from whistle blowing
Is this a case of professional individual wrongdoing, or a matter of policy, i.e. insufficient resources?

Re: Whistle Blowing in the Health Services: Is there anything in leglislation or T&C'

There is a notorious case in the UK at the moment where a nurse took part in covert filming of scenes of dreadful neglect.

The UK professional body which regulates nursing has struck her off the register and she can no longer practice her profession. She is appealing the decision at present.

Nurse who secretly filmed for Panorama is struck off register

Re: Whistle Blowing in the Health Services: Is there anything in leglislation or T&C'

Whistleblowers are now legally protected in Ireland since 1st March last see link below..

[broken link removed]

Back