whirpool washing machine problem

kada_fd

my washing machine suddenly stopped working recently. we werent even using it at the moment it happend, we were actualy leaving the house when we started to hear the dial for the programme settings start turning over and over again through each programme (very eerie to begin with).
I have not been able to use it since as this is the only thing it does now.

i contacted whirlpool and they recommended holding the on/off button down for 10-15 seconds which had no effect. i had cleaned the filters and checked for blockages also, everything else seems fine.

i asked how much a service call would cost and they said 50 euro with additional charges and costs for any spare parts needed (i heard that can get costly) and i can't afford this much lately to be honest.

its a whirlpool awm 1003/5 and is about 3 years old
does anybody have any idea what might be causing/or have caused this? if it has happend to them or any idea what could be wrong.
i'm really not sure if its worth having someone repair it or saving up and getting a brand new one either..

I had a similar problem I am using well water and the filter keeps blocking on the cold feed... note take it off if it bloacks but also take of the machine one as well.

I had a similar problem with an Indesit (Whilpool's sister brand) washer/dryer. The engineer called out and found that a wire in the back of the machine disconnected due to the jumpy spin. He replaced the wire with the longer one and that was the end of the problem. Turning of the programme dial was a machine's way of an error alert.

My whirlpool seems to be doing much the same. It keeps on turning over but the drum won't spin. I also opened the door and it will turn over still and shows that the door is locked even though it is open. No water is entering the drum.

Called a local guy who took a look and said the control board is gone. Now that's the worst that could happen. I rang Whirlpool and they said that a call out is €50 + labour. The new control board is €140. Personally, I am starting to think a new washing machine is a cheaper option.

If I were you I would get a local guy out who won't hit you for a call out fee and see if he can find a solution. This will help you decide whether to replace or repair.

thanks for the replies, yachtie my dad was thinking the switch turning was a sign of an error report also, as it was turning in 13 and 14 clicks over and over.
i'll have to check all of your recommendations first
but thanks so much for the help

Back