Whirlpool dishwasher - write off?

onekeano

I have an integrated Whirlpool dishwasher about 5 years old which had been working fine until recently. Then we noticed towards the end of the wash it started making a loud noise as if something was spinning inside and hitting items inside. We took out the blades at the top and bottom and emptied the filter but could not identify / fix the problem.

Today when turning the machine machine on water came into it and then it just stopped. So I am wondering if the machine is worth getting an engineer out (parts & labour and all that) or should I bite the bullet and get a new one?

Any advice would be appreciated

Roy

If it were a Siemens or Miele I would consider repair, Philips Whirlpool...... I dunno, 5yrs on, I think I would go for new one tbh.

I would repair. I have regularly bought whirlpool and they tend to last 8-10 years. Paying 100-150 to repair it to last another 5 years might be better than spending 400-600 on a new one.

I have an integrated NEFF - about 10 years old.
August 2008 - had to replace the motor & sealing kit €320

Now motor has seized again.
At this stage, cheaper to get a replacement.

Depending on the cost of the part and the call out charge, you might have a new one for a few bob more. A lot of large outlets doing good deals, at the moment.

I have a Hotpoint Aquarius. It's still working after about ten years but a lot of little bits (running wheels, detergent flip door, etc.) didn't last too long. Not sure I'd buy another one.

Sounds like something got through the filter into the impeller of the pump, limescale can break away and cause them to wear or break too.

With zanussi, electrolux, aeg etc. you can buy a kit to replace the impellers and seals for about £30, three screws and about 10 minutes work.

I think your pump is sold as a complete unit. What the exact model number?

Back