which wireless router ?

errigal

I want to purchase a wireless router as Ive just purchased a laptop. Not knowing anything about the area, am seeking some advice.

Ive got DSL connection with UTV 2Mbps at the mo.

Can anyone recommend a model they have in similar setup that works well ?

Excuse my ignorance.

Hi Car....can you explain this Linksys thing...am I right in thinking it converts Boradband by Phone line into Wireless Broadband within the selected area?

No. It connects to your ADSL phone line broadband connection and then provides wireless LAN access (i.e. in your house and surrounding areas) to that internet connection. PCs/laptops with 802.11 wireless capabilities can connect wirelessly to the router and thus share the broadband connection to the net. It also provides wired connections if necessary. Don't confuse wireless LAN access to a wired (e.g. ADSL phone line) broadband connection with wireless broadband (e.g. IrishBroadband, WiMax, satellite etc.).

Clubmans correct. another take on it is say you get the linksys, if you have a 2mb ADSL broadband connection into your house, plug that into your wireless router.
The linksys broadcasts wirelessly at 54mbps, you can connect to the router at a maximum of 54mbps but can still only go out from the house at 2mbps.

You can connect other pieces of hardware (laptops/PCs etc) to the router and have an internal LAN and those clients will have a NW speed of 54 mbps between each other (filesharing/gaming), however, their internet connection will be sharing the 2mbps.

How well does it work around the house?

Say a typical semi-d?

If the router was located in a bedroom upstairs, would you still get a perfect connection downstairs on your laptop?

Yes, your average house wont have a problem, I think theres a signal range of 100 meters on the linksys. Heres some from microsoft on improving your signal if you find its weak in your house.

i can recommend the linksys WRT54GS which has been very reliable and easy to setup and secure.
my linksys wireless router is located upstairs in a wardrobe in a bedroom and gives an excellent to good signal throughout the house. it even works in the shed at the end of the garden.
see the network setup on this pdf [broken link removed]

I've ordered a Linksys Compact Wireless-G Broadband Router from Komplett. So far they have put back the delivery date three times. Has anyone else had the same problem!!!. Can anyone suggest where I could get a similar Wireless router where the delivery date would be more dependable.

Incidentally, what's the difference between the "Compact" and the standard Linksys router.:confused:
Cheers.

Justsally

justsally said:
I've ordered a Linksys Compact Wireless-G Broadband Router from Komplett. So far they have put back the delivery date three times. Has anyone else had the same problem!!!. Can anyone suggest where I could get a similar Wireless router where the delivery date would be more dependable.
How much? You can get the older (non compact) version around town for about €80 or maybe even less if I recall correctly.
Incidentally, what's the difference between the "Compact" and the standard Linksys router.:confused:
Different case/smaller.

[broken link removed] versus [broken link removed].

Personally I wouldn't pay more for the compact version if it actually costs more.

Thanks for your quick reply Clubman

The cost of the Linksys Compact Wireless-G Broadband is 76 euros - which includes freight and vat!.

Justsally

"Delay?" That's the problem
So far they have put back the delivery date three times.

Their latest e-mail to me gives the delivery/stock date as 19th July. Their site states "4 pcs expected on stock 2006-07-19". Their e-mail does not differentiate between delivery and in stock date. Hmmmm wonder if one of these 4 pieces is being allocated to my order. But as the proposed date has been changed three times in almost the same number of weeks I don't feel confident that they won't continue to defer completing my order. I'm still wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with Komplett!!!

I've been checking out other posts on AAM and I read that Elara can supply what appears to be the same wireless router for 18 euro less There was a suggestion that it can be collected thus saving freight charges.

Two phone calls are called for to-morrow, one to Elara and the other to Komplett.

Cheers

Can anyone recommend a wireless router with a built in DSL modem/router that would replace my Creative Blaster Modem (for use with UTV)?

CCOVICH said:
Can anyone recommend a wireless router with a built in DSL modem/router that would replace my Creative Blaster Modem (for use with UTV)?

Caveat: if you need tech support from UTV they won't provide it unless you're using the modem they supplied.

For that reason, I use the blaster modem, and a seperate wireless router.

YouNeek said:
Caveat: if you need tech support from UTV they won't provide it unless you're using the modem they supplied.

For that reason, I use the blaster modem, and a seperate wireless router.

Point taken-but I am trying to reduce the amount of hardware that I have lying around.

Back