Which takes precidence Irish Law or foreign Law

I think this depends on residency and on whether the estate comprised real or personal property.

I've acted in circumstances where there were UK shares held by an irish resiedent. We had to apply for a UK grant of probate.

I'm assuming that the "law" is the way in which it is divided.

If there is no residue clause then I believe the foreign assets are dealt with as in an intestacy. If there is a residue clause then the assets are brought into that.

what you need to find out is how the estate abroad can be liquidated and that will require advice form a lawyer in that country.

Generally speaking if its an immoveable asset like land or buildings it would be dealt with under the succession laws of the foreign country. Its possible (in some countries)under those laws that where the deceased was not resident there that the foreign law says that the deceaseds own country's laws will apply.

Was a will made in that country? If not many european countries succession laws are very different to Ireland(they tend to favour children over spouses for example).
Your best bet is to talk to a lawyer there or there are a few firms in Dublin who deal with foreign conveyancing in certain countries and they would have a very good idea of inheritance issues also

"........leaving a foreign estate that was not dealth with in an Irish will"

It sounds unlikely that this would happen without there likewise being provision made in the foreign jurisdiction (unless of course the person died before resolution proceeded to execution).

The 'normal' residuary clause in a will disposes of the residue "both real and personal and wheresoever situate..." and this wording would deal with the foreign estate. The absence of this wording in a will strongly suggests that alternate arrangements were contemplated. In the circumstances I would certainly recommend carrying out an investigation to be absolutely sure there is no foreign will.

Back