Health Insurance Which Plan to Choose?

Betty Murphy

We are a couple in our 60's (67 and 63) with some health issues.... nothing major TG. The consultants we attend are attached to the Beacon and Hermitage Clinic. Currently we are on VHI Forward Plan Level 1 which has great cover but has become too expensive now that my husband has retired. Renewal April 2017 / Quoted price for both of us €6400.

I have done some phoning to several of the companies looking for quotes that will cost less without totally decimating our cover. Apart from needing cover for the hospitals mentioned I think that due to our ages we need cardiac and orthaepedic cover also. We are willing to have semi-private accommodation in the private hospitals instead of private and would also consider a small excess. The suggested plans and quotes are as follows:

VHI : Health Plus Extra €2506 each (when I explained that I would like to keep price even lower if possible) Health Access was suggested costing €1645.60 each

Laya : Control 150 Secure : €3211 per annum for both of us

Irish Life : Best Ultimate 2 : €3366 per annum for both

I have tried to compare all of them but at this stage I'm totally in meltdown! Can you please help me decide on the best option for us? We have been with VHI since we started cover, some 20-25 years ago. Originally we were reluctant to change but for a good cover at a good price I think it will be a no-brainer! You're expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Rednor

Hi Betty Murphy,

Welcome to AAM. The VHI Health Access plan is the best option which ticks the boxes in your case.
The only 3 differences compared to Forward Plan Level 1 are; no day to day cover, 125 excess on admission or day case in a
private/hi-tech hospital and dropping private room cover.
These are very minor differences overall, the savings achieved will cover a lot of day to day medical expenses, also a private room is never guaranteed even if you have cover.
On the plus side, there is full cover for orthopaedic surgery in private/hi-tech hospitals. Also, there is level 2 cardiac Tavi cover in hi-tech hospitals
included on this plan.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. It's great to get input from someone who knows enough to get to the heart of the matter! Decision made! Your help is very much appreciated.
Regards
Betty Murphy

Back