Health Insurance Which Plan to Choose?

Zipiter

Hello.
I really need some advice regarding my health insurance renewal. I have tried doing my own research on the HIA website, here and other online resources. I am currently struggling to understand policies and their jargon.

I am 42 male married. Wife is 39. Neither are smokers or have any underlying health issues (thank God). I am in permanent employment (primary teacher).
We are currently with Aviva(Irish Life now) on the Health Starter package. Paying approx €844 each pa.

My father recently had treatment for prostate cancer and his VHI covered all his costs and had good treatment in the Mater Private.

As this cancer is hereditary I am concerned that my own cover wont come near covering what the future may bring.

I know that I will need to increase my cover at some stage as we are both getting older and I realise that my current cover is pretty basic.

I have researched myself and the following plan is seemingly of better benefit to us both. Layla Healthcare Flex 500 Plus

This plan is €905 each p.a. From what I can see this plan has more benefits in cover and while extra it is just within our budget.

Am I right in thinking that this plan provides a good cover for us both?

Would you suggest a different plan altogether? Within €900 area.

My renewal is due on 14th February.

Any help/advice is really appreciated.
Thank you

Hi Zipiter,

Welcome to AAM.
The Health Starter plan you are on at the moment just covers public hospitals.
This type of plan is available for 495 with Laya Future Protect.

If possible it is valuable to choose a plan which includes private hospital cover.

There are a few alternative options to consider, details as follows;
1. Flex 500 Explore; price 757pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, 500 euro excess payable if admitted for a stay in a private
or hi-tech hospital, day case excess 150 per visit to a private or hi-tech hospital. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.
Limited day to day expenses cover.

2. Flex 500 Plus; price 905pa; same hospital cover as Flex 500 Explore; 500 excess on admission + 150 day case excess, this plan has
good day to day cover included - the first 50 euro is not allowed.

3. Flex 175 Explore; price 953pa; same hospital cover as Flex 500 Explore except the excess per admission is 175, and 75 excess per day case.

4. Control 300 Create; price 972pa; all public, private(including private room cover) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, excess 300 on admission
or 125 excess per day case. Good day to day cover included on this plan, 1 euro excess, 80 refund per consultant visit, 30 per gp visit, etc.

5. VHI PMI 44 16; Price 1050pa; all public, private(including private room cover) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, excess 150 per admission
or day case, limited day to day expenses cover.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Thank you Snowyb.
You are very good to be helping people out.

Edit: I went with the Flex 500 Plus.

Can anyone tell me why/how when first clicking on the plan it says that it will cost €145.96 per month for us both, but then when I enter the renewal date 14th February that cost jumps up to €163.53 per month?

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me why/how when first clicking on the plan it says that it will cost €145.96 per month for us both, but then when I enter the renewal date 14th February that cost jumps up to €163.53 per month?

Looks to be a combination of the fact the online discount only appears to be for January and February, and the annual premium is split over 11 monthly payments sometimes depending on when the purchase date falls compared to the Laya Direct Debit collection dates:
145.95 x 12 = 1751.40
163.53 x 11 = 1798.83

The figures are further complicated by tax relief rules, monthly credit charges and policy coverage time - so not exactly obvious how to calculate it but looks to be correct from my calculations. Can give full, gory details if you want.

Pricing health insurance is complicated :-(

Hello All

I got an email today reminding me that my renewal is in February.

The renewal is €183.46 for us both.

Both our details have remained unchanged and neither have we made any claims.

Is the Flex 500 plus still the best plan for us?

I checked the HIA website but only succeeded in confusing myself even more.

We could stretch a little more around 200 per month if it meant a better policy.

Help much appreciated!

Zipiter,

The following plans are much better value at similar prices, with lower inpatient excess and better day to day cover with a 1 euro excess.

1. Laya Simply Connect; price 1100pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private hospital inpatient excess 150 x 2 max per year
for all private/hi-tech admissions( regardless of how many). Day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for
gp visits, consultant visits, dental, physio and so on - subject to a max refund of 500 allowable expenses.(50% of 1000 = 500 per year).

2. Laya Control 300 Create; price 1079pa; all public, private(including private room fully covered) + 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private hospital
excess 300 per admission, day case excess 125 per procedure, good day to day cover included 80 refund per consultant visit, 30 refund per gp
visit, etc. with a 1 euro excess. The main reason for choosing this plan is if a private room in a private hospital is important to you.

3. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 1123pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private hospital excess 150 per admission
and day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for gp visits, consultants etc with a 1 euro excess,
subject to a max refund of 1000 per year.

4. VHI PMI 07 10; Price 1188pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private hospital excess 150 x 1 max per year for all
private/hi-tech hospital admissions(regardless of how many). Day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund
for gp visits, consultant visits, dental etc subject to a max refund of 2000 per year.

[broken link removed]

Note; As your renewal date is in February 2019, there is no guarantee that the above prices will stay the same until that date.
There may be other offers available at that time.
You can choose different plans with different companies if you want, to suit your own individual medical needs.

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you so much Snowyb

Do you think I should wait until closer to my renewal date to change or go ahead now?

As your renewal date is February 14th 2019, I would wait until say 1st Feb to renew.
It will be clear by then, what price changes if any are happening.
This information will be posted on the Health Insurance Authority website/Latest News heading by mid to late January 2019.
The deadline is they have to notify the HIA in advance, of price changes up or down, by 30 days notice.

Snowyb

Hi Snowyb
My renewal is the 1st of February.

Are the policies that you recommended above still the best options for me do you think?

Edit, Im also a primary school teacher so if there are any group plans available that I should be aware of please.

Thank you

Last edited:
Zipiter,

The policies recommended are still the best options available and the prices are still the same.
These policies are corporate plans which are best value for the price, and normally marketed at multi-national companies.
They are open to anyone to buy so you are in a position to choose accordingly.

Regards, Snowyb

Well it's that time of year again. The renewal is up at the beginning of next month.

Could somebody advise on current policies which might suit please?
I went with the Simply Connect policy last year for myself and my wife.

Is this still best value?
I'd be willing to upgrade slightly (100-200) if there was a better option.

Thank you

Back