Which pension for 50 +

Teepee70

I am forty nine. I am a public service worker and have been working continually since I was twenty six. My job is very physical as I work in a special needs school. I do not think I will be able to continue working until I am sixty eight. I have been looking at private pensions, but the jargon goes over my head. I am looking for information in simple layman terms.

Can you outline how long you are a public servant how long you are permanent are you paying into a public service pension .
Do you pay a pension levy
are you permanent public service employee (is there a break in service each year ) if permanent can you let us know year started and year made permanent in,
Are you paying into public service pension if so when did you start and how many years are you paying into system,
Did you work in the public service before you worked in special needs school.
can you give a rough idea how much you earn a year
If you pay into pension do you know retirement age.
when posters know the above they will have a better picture of your position and will be able to help you more.
are you paid during holiday breaks.

If you are a PS, then you can retire before 68.

If you are a PS, then you can't take out a personal private pension.

You can enhance your PS pension by starting an AVC.

If you are a PS, then you can retire before 68.

If you are a PS, then you can't take out a personal private pension.

You can enhance your PS pension by starting an AVC.
Protocol
Can they buy additional years
can they buy temporary service if they had temporary service
they need to look at the above additional years/temporary service if they had any and also look at AVC .

Teepee70 -as others have said, you need to give more information. Presumably, if you are a public service worker you are in a public service pension scheme? If yes, what is the normal (minimum) retirement age attached to the scheme? Do you pay PRSI at Class A or at Class D, as per your payslip? Length of service to date in your pension scheme ? etc.

Also, what age (approx) would you hope, or aim, to retire at ? What are you hoping to achieve by contributing more to a pension now - a greater guaranteed weekly pension or a greater tax free lump sum or easily accessible fund at retirement ? How is your health ?

Hi, thank you for replying to my question. I have been in the ps for twenty six years continuous service. I am in class A1. I am permanent for that amont of time. My salary is 36,000, I pay into the regular pension. I am worried that I may have to leave before retirement age as I won't be physically able to work in this field. I would like to be able to draw a weekly sum similar to my take home pay. Could you explain to me the AVC.

So you started in 1991 when did you start paying into a pension in 1991 have you the option of retiring at 60 this is important .some of the old ps pensions allowed you to take 66.6% of final salary if you did not take the lump sum payment.It is worth checking out will the allow you to take the 66.6%of final salary and use your AVC to take your tax free lump sum I don't know the answer but i am sure other posters will know. (66.6% of final salary for 40 years service.
I single person will get tax relief @ 40% on around 2200 euro note you are already using up some on your contributions /pension levy pension so you need to check your pay slip to see how much of this is used up already.

Hi, thank you for replying to my question. I have been in the ps for twenty six years continuous service. I am in class A1. I am permanent for that amont of time. My salary is 36,000, I pay into the regular pension. I am worried that I may have to leave before retirement age as I won't be physically able to work in this field. I would like to be able to draw a weekly sum similar to my take home pay. Could you explain to me the AVC.

Based on the above, I take you are a member of one of these two schemes (check for yourself):

http://www.education.ie/en/Educatio...sions/FAQ-for-Teachers-in-Primary-Schools.pdf
http://www.education.ie/en/Educatio...-Special-Needs-Assistants-and-Caretakers-.pdf

You would have a normal (minimum) retirement age of 60 and your pension would be coordinated with the Social Welfare system. I doubt that you will be able to achieve a pension similar to your current take home pay. Here are my approximate estimates for your pension at 60, should you opt to take retirement then. (You could continue to 65).

Assumptions ;retiring at 60(normal), 37 years service, salary €36000.

At 60 this should yield a pension of approximately €6670 pa. You would also be able to claim a supplementary pension from the Department of Ed of approx €10000 pa. This gives a total of approx
€16670. Before claiming your supplementary pension you would be expected to exhaust any Social Welfare payment to which you may be entitled. This is currently Jobseeker's Benefit, payable for 9 months. When you reach State Pension age (68 by then) you would claim it and the supplementary pension element would cease. You would also be eligible for a tax free lump sum of approx €50000, at retirement at 60.

Taking actuarially reduced early retirement is allowed under your scheme but you may not consider it financially viable. These are approximate figures for age 55, as an illustration (32 years service, same salary). Your actuarially reduced pension at 55 would amount to approximately €4480 pa. You may qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit for 9 months but you would not be able to claim the supplementary pension until age 60, when it should amount to an additional €8670 pa. Your tax free lump sum at 55 would be approximately €38500.

I note you refer to your fitness for the job a number of times. There is a provision in the scheme for early retirement on medical grounds This is more generous. I don't if there are any issues that might lead to you qualify now are later. There is more about this in the documents linked above. There is also some information on AVCs and "notional years", which are two ways of buying additional pension benefits while you are still working. Any contributions you make are tax deductible.

Thank you early riser for your feedback. I am a sna. In your opinion what would be my best course of action to increase my pension in order for me to take early retirement?.

Thank you early riser for your feedback. I am a sna. In your opinion what would be my best course of action to increase my pension in order for me to take early retirement?.

Early riser do you know if SNA were allowed a D stamp in 1991 any chance they are on the wrong stamp there was a lot of PRSI Misclassification of public servants in the 1990 some were on a PRSI Class A1 when temporary and never changed to D stamp when they were made permanent .if retiring early there would be a massive shortfall if on the wrong stamp,

Early riser do you know if SNA were allowed a D stamp in 1991 any chance they are on the wrong stamp there was a lot of PRSI Misclassification of public servants in the 1990 some were on a PRSI Class A1 when temporary and never changed to D stamp when they were made permanent .if retiring early there would be a massive shortfall if on the wrong stamp,

jjm- Interesting point. No I don't know anything about this. I do know that some public servants were given pension schemes with Class A stamps (correctly) as far back as the 1980s (mostly in the voluntary health or disability sectors) but I have no idea if this applies to SNAs. I note Teepee70 works in a special school so perhaps he came in under one of these voluntary sector Class A schemes. How could he go about clarifying this? (Teepee7 Do you know the actual name of your scheme - is it the one I linked to above or might it be the NHASS ?).

In your opinion what would be my best course of action to increase my pension in order for me to take early retirement?

Teepee7 - This is a difficult one for several reasons. You are probably paying around €1100 pa into your current pension scheme and you will be subject to the Pension Related Deduction for another year or two yet. Therefore, anything you pay into either an AVC or "notional service" will only attract tax relief at the 20% rate. Also, should you be thinking of early retirement in your 50s you have a relatively short contribution period. Buying back notional years would increase your occupational pension somewhat but maybe not to a realistic level to live on before age 60 when you would also qualify for the supplementary pension.

I would be inclined to get a quote for "notional years" from your pay&pension department and then decide if you think it is worth it. I know the tax relief is limited to 20% but if you take early retirement you will probably be below the tax threshold at drawdown, so there is some advantage in it.

Others will know much more on this than me and, maybe can advise?

Back