Which online brokers allow investing in US ETFs

...I see they are based in Chicago. You aren't allowed open a US trading account if you do not have a US address. While it is handy from an investment point of view that you can access US domiciled funds and ETFs, there are clear failings in their compliance and anti money laundering checks that allow non US residents open up accounts so easily.
I wasnt aware of this as a large number of reputable US brokerages allow non residents in a number of countries open brokerage accounts. Can you share some details to which regulation prevents this?

Last edited:
Only shows that the have a lax attitude to money laundering and customer protection rules - it might make you wonder what else they ignore?
I dont believe there was any discussion about money laundering (They go through the regular KYC checks,collect & report tax details as required and are regulated by the relevant US authorities ) these regulations are related to customer protection rules only, I am still unclear if they actually apply here as these companies have no EU presence and offer execution only services. So my understanding is they would not have to apply EU countries legislation.

Its also worth noting TradeStations are owned by the Monex Group, Inc. which is quoted on the Tokyo stock exchange, so its not like a fly by night operation, but obviously you need to be careful where you invest your money.

Some additional details I pulled from TradeStations website.
TradeStation Securities is a member of SIPC, which protects securities customers of its members up to $500,000 (including $250,000 for claims for cash)

TradeStation Securities, Inc., a broker-dealer registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and a futures commission merchant licensed with the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC). TradeStation Securities is a member of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the National Futures Association (NFA), and the following exchanges: Cboe BYX Exchange, Inc., Cboe BZX Exchange, Inc., Cboe EDGA Exchange, Inc., Cboe EDGX Exchange, Inc., the Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT), the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Inc. (CME), the Commodity Exchange, Inc. (COMEX), Eurex, ICE Futures U.S., ICE Futures Europe, the Investors Exchange LLC (IEX), the New York Mercantile Exchange, Inc. (NYMEX), Nasdaq BX, Inc., the Nasdaq Stock Market, the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), NYSE Arca Equities, and NYSE American LLC.

Tastyworks is part of the IG Group listed on the London stock exchange and a FTSE 250 member

Fristrade is private, but around since 1985 and a large brokerage.

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't be using them - I'll stick with a tried and trusted European bank/broker but then maybe I'm being too cautious/law-abiding

Interactive Brokers is one such broker that offers access to a wide range of ETFs, including US-based ETFs.

Due to the Packaged retail and insurance-based investment products (PRIIPs) regulations, many US ETFs will not be available to Irish investors through Interactive Brokers, unless you are in a position (and meet the criteria) to elect to be categorised as a 'Professional Client':

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/download/IBKR-UK-ProServNotification-Elective-Professional.pdf

Back