Which online brokers allow investing in US ETFs

Chewbacca

Hello

Do any of the major online brokers allow investing in US ETFs like Vanguard etc ? I’m not sure any do? Does Interacive Brokers or anyone else do this?

eToro will sell you a Contract for Difference , based on any US ETF at present. You pay the full price for the ETF but it is not yours , I would describe it as a bet on the future value of the ETF with eToro. You can sell when you please , and eToro will pay you the market price. Interest paid by the ETF is refunded to you by eToro. .
At present CFD are taxed under the CGT rules on any gains , and interest is charged at your marginal rate of income tax, and USC. Any losses are allowable against CGT.
If you have confidence in eToro , ( and I know of no reason to doubt their stability ) , this might be a method to solve your problem.
On a personal level I have held several CFDs with eToro , over the past 18 months , and have had no problems .
You can buy long or short , or on the margin , but I feel these methods are only suitable for the more experienced ( and braver ) investor.

eToro will sell you a Contract for Difference , based on any US ETF at present. You pay the full price for the ETF but it is not yours , I would describe it as a bet on the future value of the ETF with eToro. You can sell when you please , and eToro will pay you the market price. Interest paid by the ETF is refunded to you by eToro. .
At present CFD are taxed under the CGT rules on any gains , and interest is charged at your marginal rate of income tax, and USC. Any losses are allowable against CGT.
If you have confidence in eToro , ( and I know of no reason to doubt their stability ) , this might be a method to solve your problem.
On a personal level I have held several CFDs with eToro , over the past 18 months , and have had no problems .
You can buy long or short , or on the margin , but I feel these methods are only suitable for the more experienced ( and braver ) investor.
This is an interesting option too. I was thinking more basic ETF like something like Vanguard so if those can be purchased directly with IB maybe I'll go that route

Hello

Do any of the major online brokers allow investing in US ETFs like Vanguard etc ? I’m not sure any do? Does Interacive Brokers or anyone else do this?
Unless you qualify as a professional investor IB wont let you buy US ETFs. Tradestation/tastyworks/firsttrade would, the first 2 allow funds transfers using currencyfair the best fx route

I use TastyTrade and can buy and sell U.S. domiciled ETFs, despite my EU residency and EU nationality: never had any problems so far with them.

I use TastyTrade and can buy and sell U.S. domiciled ETFs, despite my EU residency and EU nationality: never had any problems so far with them.
And of course it makes a huge amount of sense to invest meaningful sums of money with a company called ‘TastyTrade’. A company which, by the sounds of it, isn’f meeting its regulatory obligations. Sure what could go wrong?

No. If you read the full sentence you'll see that I qualified that: As far as I know, none, unless you can register as a "professional" Investor considered not to need the guidance (protection?) of the unavailable KID/PRIIP documentation?

Which is wrong, if you read their full post you'll see they said Tradestation/tastyworks/firsttrade do allow non-professional investors.

Last edited:
Which is wrong, if you read their full post you'll see they said Tradestation/tastyworks/firsttrade do allow non-professional investors.
Which is flouting the regulations!

ClubMan is spot-on.

It’s the equivalent of ClubMan saying you need a passport to travel to France and you saying that’s wrong ‘cause you heard about three fellas who snuck across in a rowboat!

And of course it makes a huge amount of sense to invest meaningful sums of money with a company called ‘TastyTrade’. A company which, by the sounds of it, isn’f meeting its regulatory obligations. Sure what could go wrong?
Sure what could go wrong with Anglo Irish under the vigilant eye of P. Neary or better ............Lehman's Brothers ?

...I see they are based in Chicago. You aren't allowed open a US trading account if you do not have a US address. While it is handy from an investment point of view that you can access US domiciled funds and ETFs, there are clear failings in their compliance and anti money laundering checks that allow non US residents open up accounts so easily.

Back