Which New Gas Boiler? Recommendations anyone?

We have a central heating gas unit for nearly 30 years..only make on it is "glow worm 65/80) . Each year when we get it serviced we are told it will surely pack up soon. I suppose it is obvious we should consider replacement. We are not "big" into heating insulation etc so any suggestions would be welcomed. We will leave the BER aspect to the next generation!

We had one of those and changed it to a Worchester Boosch last year. Last winter however the pipes outside the house frooze a lot. The company who installed it said they don't have a solution yet to this problem as they were not designed to be used in climates like we experienced this winter.

Anyone else experience this? I am extremely untechnical when it comes to this sort of thing - so if you have advise for me "speak slowly!"

We had one of those and changed it to a Worchester Boosch last year. Last winter however the pipes outside the house frooze a lot. The company who installed it said they don't have a solution yet to this problem as they were not designed to be used in climates like we experienced this winter.

Anyone else experience this? I am extremely untechnical when it comes to this sort of thing - so if you have advise for me "speak slowly!"

Is sounds like your condensate discharge pipe froze and shut down the boiler. If your installation company does not have a solution to this, get a different company! The same boilers are installed in countries with far lower temperatures than what we experienced on a regular basis.

To avoid this, keep external pipe runs to a minimum and certainly below 3m in length externally. Increase the pipe diameter from to 22mm to 32mm and insulate the pipework with external grade insulation.
You can also install a thermostatically controlled pipe heater, but this is extreme and unnecessary if the above measures are taken.

If these measures are carried out properly, your pipework will never freeze again.

Back