Which New Gas Boiler? Recommendations anyone?

horusd

I've been looking to replace my Ideal gas boiler. It has a C rating I think, it functions well enough, but I'd like to get an A rated one that's good and going to last a long time. So far,from speaking to a few plumbers/installers, I have been recommended to go with either a Worchester Bosch or a Viessmann. Apparently the Viessmann is the best, but naturally more expensive, and apparently parts aren't so easily available. I have been looking at the SEI site, and the UK CHeSS site ( gives info on various boilers). A lot of this stuff is complex, and I'm not sure I fully understand it. Any suggestions anyone? My house is an average sized 3 bed terraced.

Viessman are very available, ring precision heat for prices, if not, get a worchester or intergas all v good, all a rated

The Viessman Vitodens is a very good boiler. I have one installed on LPG in my own house and am very pleased with it.

Might be worth your while looking at Vaillant too. Similar build quality and reliability.

the problem with Vaillant is any scale or sludge and it will sit down very quick

I know absolutely nothing about gas boilers but colleagues tell me that Vokera and Baxi are fairly good.

Shane, you need to sit them down and have a serious chat,
the baxi megaflow has a very restrictive heatexchanger and the warranty men seem very busy....hmmm

The new vokera is ok as a low/mid range quality appliance but I don't tout them as people have has such bad experiences with the heatexchangers on the older mynutes (their new exchanger is actually very good)

I found when getting quotes for a gas boiler last year:
- most installers usually have only 2-3 models they prefer to deal with, so will only quote you on those.
- most only offer 1-2 year guarantee, which is disappointing on something I expect to last 10+ years

Viessmann, installed by a certified viessmann installer offers a 5 year parts warranty, and 10 on the heatexchanger!
Only catch is a yearly service is mandatory to validate the warranty period (same as a car)

I am so glad I stated that I know absolutely nothing about gas boilers!!! I always say there is a man (or woman) for every job...

I am so glad I stated that I know absolutely nothing about gas boilers!!! I always say there is a man (or woman) for every job...

Lol. I know the feeling, when someone, usually DGOBS, gets all technical on this site I lose the plot.:)

None in these DGOBS, but in some of the other posts.What you and others are sometimes talking about (ie heat exhangers)and the like is way above my head to handle. I was pointing out my lack of tech saavy, nothing else implied. If anything, it was meant as a back-handed compliment,and I'm very glad & grateful people like you are around and take the time to answer questions for tech-muppets like me.

If ever I/we get to technical, please say, and we can tone it down, or even pm for an explanation (sorry understand we get carried away sometimes and think people still understand)

Will do. And I mean it when I say I'm very grateful, you have always been a great help on these issues. Thanks again.

we got a Worchester Bosch condenser boiler recently and it is running very well (though previously had oil so no easy comparison).

it has a 5yr guarantee as long as it is serviced by a WB approved plumber/engineer

We have a central heating gas unit for nearly 30 years..only make on it is "glow worm 65/80) . Each year when we get it serviced we are told it will surely pack up soon. I suppose it is obvious we should consider replacement. We are not "big" into heating insulation etc so any suggestions would be welcomed. We will leave the BER aspect to the next generation!

Back