Which health insurance product to switch to

colin79ie

I am hoping someone here can assist me.

My family of 2 adults and 2 kids are currently on VHI plan A. I am thinking of switching to a better plan/company without any huge cost increases. Can anyone help me identify a plan suiyed to families. I am not too worried about day to ay cost such as GPs etc.

I know this has been comprehensively debated on here before and I have been looking at the hia website comparison charts but I am slightly overwhelmed with the whole lot. I live in the NW.

As a Plan A member, this comparison might be benefical to you:

[broken link removed]

When I was looking around for my brother and his family last year, I found that Quinn's Essential Starter was the best value. The main difference is that cover in private hsopital is bare bare bare minimum, but they're not concerned about that.

When you say "a better plan", are you looking at upgrading your hospital benefits or are you looking for a plan similar to you but has better benefits in other areas?

If you want to stay on basic level of cover similar to VHI Plan A, i recommend Quinn Essential for your family.

• cheaper than Plan A and Hibernian Aviva's We Plan Level 1.
  • gives your family the same room accom of semi-private room in a public hopsital.
  • gives full cardiac cover in the high tec hospitals from the 35% cover you get with VHI on Plan A.
  • other benefits such as maternity cover, overseas cover and the outpatient excess are similar or even improved upon

there is another Quinn plan called Essential Starter which is cheaper in price than Essential, but it is more tailored towards men as it has poor maternity benefits and the plan trims away some other benefits too

only negative about that Quinn Essential plan is that they cover a less MRI/CT scan centres than VHI and i've heard stories about them not being the most upfront and honest in how they conduct their business

if you are thinking about upgrading your health insurance to cover your family for Private hospital accomodation without significant day-to-day cover, VHI Plan B/B Options, Quinn Essential Plus and Hibernian Aviva We Plan Level 2 would be the ones to look at. Of those three I'd recommend the Hibernian Aviva plan as it has more comprehensive benefits and is competitive on price.

Back