Which family used car?

babydays

We're a family with 3 teenage kids and a large dog!
The car is mainly used by my husband driving to work on the motorway - 40km each way each day.
At weekends we do family outings so need something with enough space for tall teens and the dog.

We've been thinking about estates - the Toyota Avensis, Toyota verso, Ford Mondeo estate, Kia Ceed.
We're on a tight budget but need decent space in the back seats (lessen the squabling) and want a car with lower running costs and a car we can hang onto for a long time as we've had bad luck with previous cars (mpvs).

We're not car savy at all so would love some recommendations about type of car to go for.

Difficult one to answer as cars are very personal choices (ie what price range, suv?, diesel?, new or used?).

You should check out reviews from motor magazines (eg autocar, honestjohn - on line).

Once you have an idea, test drive lots of cars. There are plenty of garages willing to bite your hand off so take your time and don’t be rushed into anything.

If you have the time and patience you could consider an import but you need to get it checked out thoroughly.

Based on the daily mileage, a diesel is the obvious choice, in fact probably the only choice.

I suggest the Skoda Superb 1.6 diesel estate. Solid, reliable, huge inside, low tax, low running costs, low insurance and built to last. The business. Choice of engines other than the 1.6 and choice of 2WD or AWD. The Superb is the VAG platform for all the similarly-sized VWs and AUDIs.

Last edited:
We're a family with 3 teenage kids and a large dog!
The car is mainly used by my husband driving to work on the motorway - 40km each way each day.
At weekends we do family outings so need something with enough space for tall teens and the dog.

We've been thinking about estates - the Toyota Avensis, Toyota verso, Ford Mondeo estate, Kia Ceed.
We're on a tight budget but need decent space in the back seats (lessen the squabling) and want a car with lower running costs and a car we can hang onto for a long time as we've had bad luck with previous cars (mpvs).

We're not car savy at all so would love some recommendations about type of car to go for.

What's your budget ?

saloons and estates will not be comfortable for 3 (effectively) adults in the back as they're generally designed with 2 proper seats and the person in the middle ends up sitting on a hump with their feet either side of the transmission tunnel.

if you want 3 individual seats and a flat floor you're looking at an MPV of some type. We're in a similar situation (3 teens) and recently bought a Citroen Picasso, pretty happy with is so far.

Budget - comfortable with up to 12K can stretch to 14K at a push. Looking at 2014 cars at the moment.

Had a Citroen Picasso -gave us endless troubles. Looking for a reliable car.

In a FWD car?

transmission tunnel is probably not the correct term, but virtually all low-floor cars have a hump in the middle of the rear floor, I guess for brake cables, exhaust etc (and transmission if it's RWD).

On some it's more intrusive than others but if you want a flat floor you're looking at an SUV, MPV or some other high-floor vehicle (even electric cars like the Leaf still have the hump).

I don't see a problem putting 3 adults in the back of a mid range car if they can't fit in it's time they had a look at there diet. I have a Kia cred diesel and it's very economical and has all the extras and is very comfortable to drive
I don't worry much about the comfort of my passengers they have 2 choices around here take the lift or walk.

I don't see a problem putting 3 adults in the back of a mid range car ...

One for the OP, but how often are all three adults carried in the car for long journeys currently??? Enough to justify a considerably larger car?

Last edited:
I don't see a problem putting 3 adults in the back of a mid range car if they can't fit in it's time they had a look at there diet. I have a Kia cred diesel and it's very economical and has all the extras and is very comfortable to drive
I don't worry much about the comfort of my passengers they have 2 choices around here take the lift or walk.
They are tall, skinny teens with long legs! We have just the one car for the family as other than family outings at weekends and holidays they walk and cycle everywhere!

transmission tunnel is probably not the correct term, but virtually all low-floor cars have a hump in the middle of the rear floor, I guess for brake cables, exhaust etc (and transmission if it's RWD).

On some it's more intrusive than others but if you want a flat floor you're looking at an SUV, MPV or some other high-floor vehicle (even electric cars like the Leaf still have the hump).
Exactly, most have that hump in the middle. The Toyota avensis seems to be one of the very few that doesn’t. The Kia Ceed seems to have a small hump.

I have an Avensis...I can lie a full set of clubs along the floor.
For short journeys my Rottweiler and his sister the Heinz 57 varieties terrierist relax on the rear floor of my Avensis. For longer spins they avail of their seat-belt extensions :) :)

Back