Which estates to look at in Maynooth?

Re. Castledawson, I have heard that the fact the builders are on site (at the back of the site?) is causing problems re. parking (presumably only during the daytime) and I also see that the main road through the development is not completed (fair enough given that there is still development going on at the back I guess).

Anyone know anything about this development at the back of Castledawson?

its called newtown hall, been sold through Bradys estate agents, there were 2 & 3 bed properties launched a few week ago

Cheers for that Virginiaman.

It looks like it's an 'overflow' of Castledawson, i.e. same access etc?

CCOVICH said:
It looks like it's an 'overflow' of Castledawson, i.e. same access etc?

Close CCOVICH, the original plan was for it to be developed to the standard of Parsons Hall (with access through there) a few years ago. But, as usual, short sighted residents (not all) were against this (it was always going to go through though). Because of this, it has been held back a long long time, sold on 2 - 3 times with the resulting, ugly town houses being given permission.

I know this because I am from the area and pretty close to how proceedings went.

Thanks for the info.

Is it fair to say that few houses come on the market in Parklands and Silken Vale?

I like the look of Moyglare, but it just might be a wee bit too far from the station (I would be taking the train every morning).

Castledawson looks good too. Parsons Hall and Leinster Park are outside what we are willing to pay. Wasn't overly impressed with Meadowbrook, Newton Court, Railpark, Greenfield, or parts of Carton Court.

I just bought a house in Griffin Rath Hall. Its built by the same builders as Parklands and is well finished even though the second phase is not yet complete. The houses range from 2 bed duplexes (Griffin Rath Hall) to 5 bed detached (Griffin Rath Manor). Not sure whether there's anything still available though

CCOVICH - 20 Mins walk from Moyglare Abbey, did you know you can cut up at Roost to station, rather than going up main st and then straffan Rd

straight up the road and over the bridge and you are at train station, was outbid on Moyglare Abbey recently, but timed walk etc!! depending on time you are getting the train there is limited parking available on that road also.

CCOVICH said:
Thanks for the info.

Is it fair to say that few houses come on the market in Parklands and Silken Vale?

You're on the right track with most of your assumptions.
Woodlands is another nice area. It's on the same side of the road as Castle Dawson, but across from Beaufield (closer to the town).

Railpark is a bit old, but the houses have good potential through refurbishment.
I like the Moyglare area myself and the walk would be no further than Castle Dawson really.

Also, there's an estate out the old Dunboyne road ( as you go down the main street towards the girls national school swing a left there), can't think of the name, but that's a nice area too.

Thanks again ixus, very useful feedback.

I guess we want something 'walk in' so anything that requires refurbishment/updating isn't really in.

Is Moyglare really not as far from the train station as Castledawson? That is interesting. Have to try the walk myself and see.

I don't think I've seen anything in Woodlands. Any idea of typical asking prices for Woodlands?

A woodlands house came up last year asking 525, they rarely come up and judging by other places in maynooth would be about 80K more this year. The estate beside the girls school is called lyreen park, these come up now and again, same price range as woodlands. There's a 4 bed semi in moyglare abbey for sale now 470 I think, its on myhome.ie

Woodlands is out then. As is Lyreen Park by the sounds of it.

Thanks for the info ramble. All responses appreciated.

Having looked at a couple of houses in Castledawson, it seems like the some of the 4 bed houses are out because of the size of the bedrooms (the two main bedrooms are too small) and the distance from the development to the station is hard to judge due to the fact that the bridge is down, but it seems to me that it would be at least 10 minutes, if not more.

It doesn't seem to make good sense to buy in Castledawson for convenience if there is little or no difference versus Moyglare Village/Abbey, especially since Castledawson houses seem to sell at a small premium to Moyglare. Having said that, Castledawson seems like a nice quiet development, and the only thing that I would have an issue with is that the main road in the development remains unfinished, and will probably remain so for another year at least, judging by progress on the development at the back.

Re. the bridge under construction, is September a realistic timeframe for completion? There certainly seems like there is a lot of work to be done.

Is it true they sell for a little more than Moyglare Abbey? I thought Moyglare was slightly more on average?

Morning CCOVICH. I would say that it was 10 minutes max walking time to the bridge and I live close by Castle Dawson.

Personally, I prefer the Moyglare Abbey estate. Also, you're pretty close to the school for any little CCOVICH's and there will be a ring road leading out to intel and the motorway on that side. Though I'm not sure how long that will take.

There's regular enough updates on the bridge in local papers and sometimes on www.maynooth.org and, so far, it has been pronounced on schedule for September.

Back