Which estate is best

Ron Burgundy

i'm thinking of changing from my van to an estate, i use it to carry dj equipment and i think the estate would be just as good value for me.

i was looking at....

Merc C220 Diesel
Audi A4 Avant
Audi A6 Avant
VW Passat
Saab 95

any thoughts, i want diesel for economy, i might even push the boat out and go for an automatic.

any thoughts on the above, i'm looking at 2003/2004 import from the UK.

Audi estates are supposed to be fantastic and one that's not on your list is the jaguar x-type estate diesel. Automatic transmission will make the car less economical and certainly less involving to drive.

icantbelieve said:
Audi estates are supposed to be fantastic and one that's not on your list is the jaguar x-type estate diesel. Automatic transmission will make the car less economical and certainly less involving to drive.

under the badge its a ford mondeo, if i wanted a ford i'd pay ford prices, that the reason, i did look at them but after research realised that its the basic mondeo platform with the jag body on it......thats happening more often.:rolleyes:

reason for not going for the volvo, i'm 29 and i'd liek to keep a little street cred, that little i have would be swallowed by the volvo:D

So the Avensis (most leg -room of any estate) is out then. And the Skoda, biggest boot. I thought the rear seat space in the audi was very tight, similar for passat. But if you're not carrying passangers that's prob not too much of an issue. You should check out the total volume of the boot space, there's a lot of variety.

yeah the space is an issue, i looked at the merc this evening and i think its a no go. i would get more in the boot of a normal 5 series

i drove estates for years ,now im driving a renault scenic loads of space and very comfortable to drive ,would never consider an estate car now

ainya said:
i drove estates for years ,now im driving a renault scenic loads of space and very comfortable to drive ,would never consider an estate car now

i was like that but equipment has become smaller for me and i'll have the power of my old 130bhp golf if i get the Audi with the space of my van, i win on both sides and still 1.80 for the toll bridge

Top Gear consistently put the Subaru Forrester top of the estate pile. It's based on the Impreza. Subaru don't do diesel though, so may rule it out for you.

Leo said:
Top Gear consistently put the Subaru Forrester top of the estate pile. It's based on the Impreza. Subaru don't do diesel though, so may rule it out for you.

yeah rules it out, on long trips i get much better value from diesel and i drive from laois to dublin at least twice a week so fule consumption is important and petrol just wouldn't give it.

its looking like the Audi A6 Avant at the mo, it ticks all the boxes and i can get one at a reasonable rate in the uk.

Have driven lots of cars that had to carry loads for my work:
a Scenic - great load space & also v good back seats for each person, a bit conservative so not much cred.
a Multipla - surprisingly a super car to drive, not as good load space as Scenic but people pointed and laughed - a lot.
a V70 - loved the winter kit, great space but kids hated the middle back seat ( three kids so one ends up sitting on a 'lump') - great load space and car has a lot more cred that the older models. Liked this car the best.
a Merc E Class - great space, same story with back seats for kids (but one is 19 now and doesn't come out as much) - but it fits pretty much anything and it's a great drive. A winter kit would make it perfect.
FG

wouldn't drive a fiat for any money and a scenic is too much of a family vechile, the e class is nice but the over inflated price puts me off.

thanks for the suggestions, no kids at the mo so rear room, comfort and power are the main issues and prob the badge as well if i'm honest.

From a drivers perspective the Ford C-Max is the best small mpv. It's better built than the Renault imho, will be more reliable, and have better residual values too.

They do a 1.6 TDCI engine with 110bhp, and the Zetec version is the one to go for.

I've owned 2 of these cars, and they really were excellent. Seats all folded up and away the boot is cavernous.

I have a 2002 BMW 3 series touring, its the 320d 150bhp model, plenty of power, and with the back seats down its not that bad room wise, however the wheel arches take up a bit of room so wide loads might be an issue, but I got a normal fridge freezer in the back last month with about 2" inches of clearance on top at the opening, it was tight.

last week got a wavin drain pipe in with the front seat lowered also, and the boot closed!

mc-BigE said:
I have a 2002 BMW 3 series touring, its the 320d 150bhp model, plenty of power, and with the back seats down its not that bad room wise, however the wheel arches take up a bit of room so wide loads might be an issue, but I got a normal fridge freezer in the back last month with about 2" inches of clearance on top at the opening, it was tight.

last week got a wavin drain pipe in with the front seat lowered also, and the boot closed!

I looked at that but if i wanted to put the back seats down i'd just buy a normal hatchback, i want to get all equipent in back area and still have space for passengers, i think the 3 series is too small for that, too small overall, even i think the c class or the a4 are on the small side also.

Have you considered an Opel Vectra Estate or an Opel Signum .... Tasty looking car and the 1.9 CDti 150bhp engine is a dinger ...

what about something like an e-class

[broken link removed]

i know its 3.2 litre petrol , but look at the spec!

theres also a nice volvo under the same garage.

Nedtastic said:
Have you considered an Opel Vectra Estate or an Opel Signum .... Tasty looking car and the 1.9 CDti 150bhp engine is a dinger ...

Signum is nice but i feel overpriced a little.

Belgard motors do vw audi and merc.

Get them to line up all the choices side by side and drive all.

Brother has a mondeo estate from work grand big yoke. Well enough specced.

Save 10 grand and buy a skoda:)

Back