Which energy supplier has best rate for microgeneration?

flyingfolly

We have 16 panels on our house and export quite a lot during sunny days (we don't have a battery but use as much as we can before exporting) and I'm wondering once microgeneration payments start, who will have the best rate? It appears all providers will have different rates?

Energia has said they have no plans yet for the rate/date that they'll be able to pay for additional solar energy from houses to go back into the grid.

Pinergy are the first to have mentioned their rate apparently. Does anyone know is there a place you can compare the potential rates to see which provider might have the best overall?

You will need to also factor in the standing charge, day and night rates and your own usage profile.

Do you have a smart meter?

FYI revenue have allowed €200 of a tax credit for microgeneration. If you earn anything more than this, you'll have to pay income tax on it.

You will need to also factor in the standing charge, day and night rates and your own usage profile.

Do you have a smart meter?

FYI revenue have allowed €200 of a tax credit for microgeneration. If you earn anything more than this, you'll have to pay income tax on it.
Yep understood. I'm just curious if there is somewhere that lists their rates so we can see who has the best deal overall in terms of daily usage rates plus kw/H microgeneration rates. One provider may have a higher cost but give more for microgeneration so it changes the sums when signing up to providers now.

Yes we have a smart meter. We also have an app for our electricity usage so know our usage profile.

I’m in the same process myself. Not everyone has their rates published yet. I’ve registered my interest with my current provider (Bord Gáis)

Is there any way of offsetting panel instal costs against potential income tax?

I’m in the same process myself. Not everyone has their rates published yet. I’ve registered my interest with my current provider (Bord Gáis)

Is there any way of offsetting panel instal costs against potential income tax?
That is an excellent point. If income from micro generation is taxable, it would seem as a general principal that the costs incurred in generating that income are deductible, either as expense or by some form of amortisation. @tmcgibney

Have Revenue confirmed that that €200 credit is net? There was originally a question if you were someone who say didn't work from home so generated €500 during the day time hours, then spent €1000 out of hours, you'd be liable for €300 in tax since your "income" was €500.

Have Revenue confirmed that that €200 credit is net? There was originally a question if you were someone who say didn't work from home so generated €500 during the day time hours, then spent €1000 out of hours, you'd be liable for €300 in tax since your "income" was €500.
I don't quite follow your point here. Do you mean you would be liable for tax ON 300 rather than €300 in Tax?

It is very unlikely you would export €500 from a standard size array. That would be approx 3,600 kwh of export. That would require approx 15 kw array (give or take), thats not a domestic size array.

I would have thought that tax should only be due if you were a net exporter of energy and actually sending more to the grid than you were using therefore making a profit?

Those were round numbers for the example. If you don't have a battery, and aren't there during peak generation hours, you are exporting to the grid and generating income during those hours. For lots of systems it would be possible to generate > €200 of electricity in a year.

So if you generate €205 worth of electricity
Then use a total of €1000 in other hours,
Do you A) owe tax on €5 - the 205(generated)-200(credit) or B) nothing since your bill was 1000(electricity used)-205(generated) = 795 net.

According to link below, Electric Ireland should be launching an informative webpage later this week and Electric Ireland hope to have the first payment made by the end of the year backdated to February 2022.

I would have thought that tax should only be due if you were a net exporter of energy and actually sending more to the grid than you were using therefore making a profit?
The model means you get paid for all energy exported to the grid, it's not nett metering where energy you supply can be used to offset your use when your solar isn't generating enough to meet your demand.

If you generate 5 units over the course of a day but consume 15 units, you pay your supplier for 15 units, they pay you for your 5 units (at a substantially lower rate than you pay them)

The model means you get paid for all energy exported to the grid, it's not nett metering where energy you supply can be used to offset your use when your solar isn't generating enough to meet your demand.

If you generate 5 units over the course of a day but consume 15 units, you pay your supplier for 15 units, they pay you for your 5 units (at a substantially lower rate than you pay them)
Is it the case I have to pay all units with Levies, VAT and everything- only to be paid a reduced unit back?
I wonder will the average home system cause tax to be due.

I also wonder about the write off of costs of solar if there is tax on the export income...if there is no policy, how can this be raised?

Flogas emailed about it last week. Its effective from 15th Feb and will be backdated. 'Export tariff' 0.185 (ex Vat) 0.20 (inc vat at 9%). Thats higher than I had expected. Payments (credit to electric account) will start from 31st Oct and will be credited on a 'regular basis'.

According to link below, Electric Ireland should be launching an informative webpage later this week and Electric Ireland hope to have the first payment made by the end of the year backdated to February 2022.

Has anyone been contacted by Elec Ireland?....Their website regugitates the same old cliched PR information , whilst lacking on actual details of the export payment promised to thousands of people who are exporting to the grid for free, and the thousands more with suitable roof space to generate substantial quantities of electricity nationally.

The information process to give homeowners their Clean Export Guarantee has been a shambles from the start, and in times of a pending energy crisis and economic war with Russia it sums up the Irish complacey to the new reality..

Has anyone been contacted by Elec Ireland?....Their website regugitates the same old cliched PR information , whilst lacking on actual details of the export payment promised to thousands of people who are exporting to the grid for free, and the thousands more with suitable roof space to generate substantial quantities of electricity nationally.

The information process to give homeowners their Clean Export Guarantee has been a shambles from the start, and in times of a pending energy crisis and economic war with Russia it sums up the Irish complacey to the new reality..
I got an email from Electric Ireland an hour ago to say that I am eligible but otherwise just saying that payment will be before the end of 2022. I wonder what happens if you sell the house in the interim, does the buyer get the backdated credit?

Back