Which chimney pot is ours? (semi-d)

Gervan

There is a broken surround of chimney pot in our garden this morning. How do I know whether it is from our chimney or the neighbour's? We're not on speaking terms.
We haven't used our chimney this century!
We are the left side house, facing from the street. The front chimney pot is intact, but I can't see the rear one, so I presume that is the one on my grass. Is there a building convention as to which, front or back, belongs to which house?

Light a few news papers in the grate and have a look outside to see if the smoke is coming out the damaged flue. If you don't use the chimney I wouldn't worry too much as it would have probably caused a downdraught which would push smoke into the room. The downside of a broken flue might mean dampness depending where the flue broke off.

Thanks, it's a good idea, but I think I'll need more than a few papers. I couldn't see smoke from either chimney pot. I will try laying a proper fire, but am half afraid of setting the chimney alight.

Do you know anyone with chimney brushes?

You just need to send them up the flue and wait until you can see where they come out.

Thanks noproblem. Managed to keep the smoke going long enough to see it coming out of the undamaged chimney pot.
The bonus is it shows the chimney isn't blocked. Maybe this winter I will use the fireplace.

The bonus is it shows the chimney isn't blocked. Maybe this winter I will use the fireplace

If it hasn't been used - best to get it cleaned out before using it.. even though the smoke got through, better to be safe than sorry...

Back