Which Car?

Asbo25

Hi, I am buying my first car soon.. I'm 25/m
Just wondering what people would recommend?
I have searced the net, and I have come up with a couple of cars that I like..
Firstly, the Renault Clio
Now I know they aren't the most reliable car in the world and there's a lot of Renault bashing around Irish forums. I like the look of the Clio though.. I've always liked them. Have my eye on this one. Do you think it's a girls car?

Secondly, the Seat Ibiza..
Not mad about the look of this car, but I've read that they are reliable..
[broken link removed]

Just looking for opinions before I fork out my hard earned.. Thanks

Forgot to mention.. I'm really not keen on Japanese cars. I know they are reliable and will go forever and all that.. Just have these two particular models in mind.

I think as a general rule - if you want to buy European, then go with a German car (i.e VW) or some derivation of a German car (i.e Seat or Skoda). Avoid French and Italian's, I think what they have in looks is more than offset by reliability issues.

I think if you must choose between the Clio and the Ibiza, I would opt for the Ibiza.

Better still, I would loose your hang ups on Japanesse cars and buy a Toyota.

Lastly, I'm not trying to start a heated debate, but the Clio is a chick's car!;)

I find renault great - to date that is. Comfortable, economical and reliable.

Do you think it's a girls car?

I suspect you already know the answer to this! :)

Looks wise I would say the Seat is FAAAAR superior. But taste is very much subjective. The ONLY thing I can think of in the Clio's favour is that it is a lower engine size which would make a bit of a difference insurance wise for a first time 25 year old male. (Personally though, I think I'd rather walk!) :eek:

I had a Renault Clio MTV 1.2 L for 3 years, and it never caused me a bit of bother. Nice nifty car - and had the sporty white dials...I bought it when it was 2 years old. Really comfy car - couldn't fault it! The good thing about the Renault make is that you get extras as standard?? The Toyotas and such cars can be very basic.

Hi, I am buying my first car soon.. I'm 25/m
Just wondering what people would recommend?
I have searced the net, and I have come up with a couple of cars that I like..
Firstly, the Renault Clio
Now I know they aren't the most reliable car in the world and there's a lot of Renault bashing around Irish forums. I like the look of the Clio though.. I've always liked them. Have my eye on this one. Do you think it's a girls car?

Secondly, the Seat Ibiza..
Not mad about the look of this car, but I've read that they are reliable..
[broken link removed]

Just looking for opinions before I fork out my hard earned.. Thanks

Despite people saying these (clio) are chicks cars I have seen a lot of young males driving them and If you do go for one of these shop around on the price as A friend got one 00 model for less than 5k

the renault definately..
i had a clio about 10 years ago and then 4 great lagunas .. great cars ..usually quiet cheeky prices from the main dealer so look at the small time dealers

My first car was a 92 Clio ... I loved it ... hated the colour (tungsten grey) ... make sure you hang on for the colour you want, if you are buying second hand. My 2nd car was a toyota yaris in 99. I loved that car ... nippy little number ... good luck and happy motoring.

Last edited:
I had a Seat Ibiza (96D), which I bought in 1997 when it was a year old. It was a 1.4l, I kept it for a few years and then gave it to my other half. He used it for a couple of years, and then even used it when he started off as a hackney(yes i am serious).

He then sold it to the old gent next door, who still drives around in in on a daily basis, without any problems. It was a great car, still looks great and never gave a days trouble.

Thanks for all your replies!
I'm not going to get too hung up on the girly car thing.
Lets face it, all small cars are basically a ladies car :)
I may be test driving the Clio this weekend, so will let you know what I think.
Thanks again

A

Go for the Seat. You'll always regret it if you go for the Renault. The Seat beats it in almost every respect e.g. performance, handling, looks, reliability, re-sale value, interior space etc. Just an opinion I know but I have had some experience of both.

ASBO...please don't even consider any of the above until you have test driven a Puma. Available from 98 to 2002, the Puma is about the best fun you can have in any small car in the history of the universe.

It is a Fiesta in essence. It comes with a choice of 1.4, 1.6 and 1.7 engine. The driving position is superb. It corners like its on a rails and, best of all, if something does go wrong with it your mother will be able to repair it with her curling tongs.

There are loads of them out there. Buy private. Look for low miles. Expect to pay no more than 7.5K for a perfect 2000 with 60K on the clock. 5K will get you a 98 2 owner with 80,000 miles.

Don't worry about service history as much as general condition. Some will have been thrashed so look at panel gaps or signs of respray.

Buy a good one and you'll smile at the thought of driving it, smile when you are driving it and still be smiling when you go to bed at night knowing you'll be driving it again tommorow.

Back