Which broadband provider?

If he is getting 500Mbps, it is almost certainly fibre to the house

VM sell their fibre broadband service using either their own fibre network or the SIRO fibre network

Reactions: Leo

VM sell their fibre broadband service using either their own fibre network or the SIRO fibre network
Ah, thanks, I'm well behind the times on their offerings so!

I have fibre to the home , Eir, and got a speed test of 350 mg , last night where my modem is . If I go down the hall I'm doing well to get 50 mg. I am paying for up to 500 mg .. it suits me for what I do.

I have fibre to the home , Eir, and got a speed test of 350 mg , last night where my modem is . If I go down the hall I'm doing well to get 50 mg. I am paying for up to 500 mg .. it suits me for what I do.
it is very likely that if you connect via ethernet you will get pretty close to the 500mb you are paying for, you wifi set up is sub optimal but that can be resolved.

I'm happy enough with what I have so no need to do anything.
If I was doing major work if wouldn't be good enough as it is though..

You should invest in a mesh WiFi setup - this will improve the coverage in your house

Virgin are building their fibre network - or updating their current network to full fibre. But I think the majority of their broadband offerings on their own network is still co-axial cable with part fibre.
( "Virgin Media uses part fibre, part coaxial cable to offer download speeds of up to 1,000Mbps. This is known as cable broadband." Switcher.)

They haven't updated their network to fibre around here yet and I have been on their 500mbps deal for a few years. SIRO has recently been rolled out and I plan to move to it shortly.
SIRO have currently a list of 7 providers offering broadband in this area but Virgin is not on it. Perhaps they are only on SIRO in areas in which they do not have there own network? I don't have any problems with our current Virgin service but I can get a better price by switching.

I don’t see Virgin appearing for me either, as a siro supplier, but i understand they are being rolled out soon, i just re-signed with Vodafone (on siro fibre),for another year, i told them : continue the €20 discount, reducing the standard €60 to €40, or i said i would “walk”, for 1 gb fibre, after a few ifs and maybes. they gave it to me, i’ve had the retention discount, for maybe 5 years now.

Last edited:
It has been recommended to me that you should re-examine your broadband provider every year in much the same way as electricity/gas providers. I.E shop around.
While changes in electricity/gas suppliers are usually seamless events, can the same be said for broadband providers? For example changing routers, installation fees, etc

While changes in electricity/gas suppliers are usually seamless events, can the same be said for broadband providers? For example changing routers, installation fees, etc
Only if you manage/schedule the changeover to ensure no down time. Unlike energy providers there is no regulatory assurance of a seamless changeover when switching providers.

Thanks for all the replies to my original post.

I decided to stick with the 500mbs plan with VM. I got 15 euro off for 9 months so saving 135 a year which is better than a kick in the backside.

Can I ask about the logistics of cancelling VM to re-sign as a new customer?

When do they stop the service? At the end of the 30 day notice period? Do you return the router then?

And when can you re-sign as a new customer, at the end of the 30 day period or when they receive the router?

When do they stop the service? At the end of the 30 day notice period? Do you return the router then?

And when can you re-sign as a new customer, at the end of the 30 day period or when they receive the router?
VM require a month's notice to cancel (they told me this on the phone just now). Not sure when the service is shut down. I don't know how long you have to leave it to be considered a new customer, but I'd imagine it's a reasonably lengthy time for the system to work (for them).

@ClubMan You may be able to advise about the above as I think you mentioned that you had done this in the past and there was no delay about signing up again?

By the way, I read on a thread on boards.ie that you can cancel VM by sending an email to [email protected], so I tried it yesterday.

Today I received confirmation of cancellation (in 30 days) by text and email, and also an email to say they will be getting in touch shortly to confirm cancellation.

By the way, I read on a thread on boards.ie that you can cancel VM by sending an email to [email protected], so I tried it yesterday.

Today I received confirmation of cancellation (in 30 days) by text and email, and also an email to say they will be getting in touch shortly to confirm cancellation.
I just heard Jess Kelly on News talk talking about some offer for Vodofone customers of getting a box similar to a sky box which gives the customer TV with 100 channels and Broadband a lot cheaper than Sky it seems. I didn't hear the price but it sounded like be a good offer .
Might be worth having a look.

I cancelled Virgin Media recently. Gave 30 days notice. Was paying 70e/mt. The day after it ceased, I phoned then and resigned up. 39e/mt. They were a bit uppity about me doing it but the person 'checked with their supervisor' and allowed me to sign up again. I had to wait for them to send a new modem (I offered to keep the old one). That took a few days. I had to send the old one back. I was without broadband for about 5 days. I am ok with that for saving 372e. I just used my phone as a hotspot for the few days.

I just heard Jess Kelly on News talk talking about some offer for Vodofone customers of getting a box similar to a sky box which gives the customer TV with 100 channels and Broadband a lot cheaper than Sky it seems. I didn't hear the price but it sounded like be a good offer .
Might be worth having a look.

This is Vodafone TV Play and is similar(ish) to Sky Stream.
https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/tv.html
https://www.sky.com/ie/tv/stream

Vodafone require you to have Vodafone broadband and have a 12 month contract. Sky give you a no commitment option and also allow you to use it with any broadband provider. The big difference is there is limited recording capability and relies more on players for delivery of old content.

Like many I am well past frustrated with Virgin Media broadband. I am on 500Mb on coax and paying 80 a month for it. I checked today and SIRO have my house passed with full fibre so the order went in straight away and have an appointment on Monday for installation. Once installed, I will cease the Virgin Media line (I cannot risk being without broadband). Openeir & SIRO are rolling out fibre in Virgin Media areas - so its good to keep an eye if you are passed by them.

Virgin Media T&Cs...
"On termination of this Agreement, or on cancellation of any Services or Packages requiring Equipment, you shall within fourteen (14) days of the date of termination or cancellation, unless otherwise agreed with us, arrange for us to collect at your residence at no cost to you or return to us in our offices at your own expense, the Equipment"

Just cancelled with Virgin Media there. Best they were offering were €15 pm off the €60 pm for a 12 month contract (Broadband only 250MB down). The new customer deal at twice the speed is €300 less (than my current plan) so €25 pm plus €100 Gift for All voucher so definitely worth the inconvience of a couple of days hotspotting off my mobile phone.

Last edited:
Back