Which broadband provider for Knocklyon?

L O L

Just wondering if someone could advise me. We have had unbelieveable problems with our broadband service from BT. We keep losing connection. Have been on to BT sooooo many times but to no avail. They blame the phone line, but eircom have been out and said phone line is fine. My head is wrecked going from BT to Eircom and at the end of the day I have paid for a broadband service for the last year that is virtually non existent.

I don't know very much about these things, but would really appreciate it if someone could advise me of who to go to. I really don't want to end up in another yearly contract with poor or no service.

Thanks a million.

I had a very similar issue with BT, there was a line fault which was confirmed by them doing a line test which came back red (green being ok), they sent a guy out to fix it who fixed whatever the fault was but had wired the box back incorrectly inside the house which meant the line was green when BT ran test but I couldnt make calls. BT refused to accept responsibility until I raised the issue via email and phone call to their complaints department. I sent a daily mail to there complaints department asking was there any update. Eventually they sent another engineer (they sub eircom engineers for this) who caught the wiring issue. I got 2 months free rental from them.

I only persevere with them as they are the cheapest on the market and service is usually good.

Youve got a problem though as most of the other ISPs will be using the same Eircom line so you could be moving providors but still have same issue.
So you'll either have to resolve the issue or depending on your BB requirements go wireless or go with NTL for BB (who Id got with if I could anyway).

To resolve the issue, when you get the dropped connections, are you sure its the broadband providor and not your own router/other hardware thats causing it?

Thanks for your reply. As I don't know a lot about these things, all I can do is trust what BT were saying and assume that there is some problem with the line. I think I will change to NTL. The frustrating thing is that I was with NTL until last year, but because they insisted on us paying for a TV subscription as well, we cancelled our contract with them. Now, I see that they are offering a broadband only package so it looks like we will have to eat humble pie and go back to them.

Id still recommend sourcing the exact issue as it may be your hardware (router/pc/laptop/wireless) thats causing the issue. What happens if you move to NTL and still have the same problem.

When BT are saying its the line, have they said for sure that they have encountered, and can see there was, an issue with your line? They will have monitoring software for this.

Are you experiencing the drop on more then one client (pc/laptop) is it wired or wireless inside the house? If wireless, can you use your intel config software on your client to see what the transfer rate to your router is at time of drop to rule that out?
If thats ok, can you go on to your routers config page to see if its dropped the IP?

Back