Where's all the daddy-long-legs?

LexLuthor

I seem to remember there being a LOT more daddy-long-legs (AKA crane flies) when I was younger... there was always at least one or two hanging around the house in the summer months.

I don't think they are just out of season, as I don't recall seeing many over the last few years.

Where have they gone?

I seem to remember there being a LOT more daddy-long-legs (AKA crane flies) when I was younger... there was always at least one or two hanging around the house in the summer months.

I don't think they are just out of season, as I don't recall seeing many over the last few years.

Where have they gone?

I'm not trying to be funny but I think most of them have moved to Kerry!

Anytime I stay there, no matter what part of the county, the house seems to be a mecca for them, especially if I leave the door open with the light on in the evening. :eek:

They're in my house!! Every night we have to try and beat them to it when we go out to lock the garage etc. Then we send hubby to get rid of them before we go to bed.

Definitely less than in previous years though now you mention it.

Is it not normally later in the year, closer to September, that we get hordes of them?

There are definitely less than there used to be - wonder if its related to the demise of bees?

They're in my house!! Every night we have to try and beat them to it when we go out to lock the garage etc. Then we send hubby to get rid of them before we go to bed.

Definitely less than in previous years though now you mention it.

There in my shed right now - seems like 100s of them.

I'm in work right now and there's one up on the wall. Seen a good few over the past few weeks, not nearly as many as before though now that you mention it.

I thought that they came out in August more so than now. We have also noticed that there are not as many Ants about. We have an increase in the number of birds in the garden which may account for it.

'Daddy Long legs' or Crane Flies usually only come out in late summer. They emerge from their leatherjacket stage after spending early summer feeding on your lawn :)

I keep wine under the stairs in a closet. Just back from France and was putting the new stock in to discover 2 on the inside of the door. They seemed to stagger too the feckers which explains why my stock was so depleted!

Back