where to stop on route

howareya

Hi.

I'm heading to Aus & NZ in Nov and was wondering if anyone had any idea of the best place to stop over on route. We were hoping to take maybe 2 nights whereever we stop. Nothing too mad just a nice relaxing place,where we can chill out.

thanks

Kuala Lumpur is nice. Also means you travel with Malaysia airlines - one of the better ones. Nice city. A few sights to see if you're in the mood, nice markets to browse around, excellent food, and relatively cheap accommodation. I would say it's an ideal stopover.

I would do a stop over in Hong Kong thats what we did and it was a lovely city we went to Happy Valley Racecourse, boat cruise and the peak etc plus it is very reasonable any hotel on or of Nathan road is a good location in Kowloom

Hi agree with BQ67IE,, if you fly with Malaysian they give you free return flights from Kuala lumpur to islands like penang so you can do a city or a beach break or both,, you get the same on the way back

Stop off on the way back.
When you stop over en route you will be jetlagged, and too tired to enjoy the stopover. When you arrive in Oz or NZ you will still be jetlagged in any event even after the stopover. So as you will be jetlagged anyway fly direct to Oz or NZ; sleep for about 24 hours and this will get you over jetlag. (I've done this twice). Then stop off in KL, HK, Singapore or whereever on the way back when you will not be too tired to enjoy them.

Kuala Lumpur is nice. Also means you travel with Malaysia airlines - one of the better ones. Nice city. A few sights to see if you're in the mood, nice markets to browse around, excellent food, and relatively cheap accommodation. I would say it's an ideal stopover.

Sorry to disagree but as a frequent flyer I found Malaysian airlines to be the worst airline I've ever had the misfortune to fly in economy (Business is another story but I can't recommend thier economy) and KL is the most boring city I've ever visited.

I know the OP wants relaxing, so I would say Singapore.

Why not go via L.A. You'll also gain a day if you fly west. Then stop over in asia on the way back.

You'll also gain a day if you fly west.

Erm not really .. I think you'll find it balances out exactly :) while yes you "gain" a day crossing the International Date Line as you cross the pacific you'll find that 24hr gain is exactly cancelled out by the time changes on the rest of your journey around the world.

Also LAX is the worst airport I've even been through in my life !

Time before last I flew to Oz I stayed 3nts in Bangkok. Luxury hotels really cheap & you can chill out by the pool or go on some trips. I got collected from the airport by limo for €11 & did 3 trips with hotel collection that cost me a total of €57 ! One was a dinner cruise down the river, a trip including lunch, boat trip & train trip to the Bridge on the River Kwai & the other was to the temples.

The trip to Australia then seems quite short so jet lag not too bad. Your body is adjusting by halves instead of 12 hrs in one go.

Hong Kong is bustling & more for shopping than relaxing....

TBH if you're just looking for two days to relax, catch a bit of sun and swim etc rather than sightsee, it doesn't matter where you stop. Just go with the cheapest option/accomm. If you're looking for somewhere to see, personally I'd recommend Thailand but if you stop anywhere where its your first visit you'll enjoy it. Wherever you go it'll be different and new and there is only so much you can see in two days. Enjoy wherever you go.

Last edited:
Hi agree with BQ67IE,, if you fly with Malaysian they give you free return flights from Kuala lumpur to islands like penang so you can do a city or a beach break or both,, you get the same on the way back

I also agree. I've flown with Malaysian several times and found them very good. Also some lovely spots to stop in. KL is a great city. Also Langkawi is lovely. Very quiet though.

No harm in stopping off in Bangkok for a few days. It is a city that has to be seen to be believed. Really cheap accommodation, great food and really friendly locals (a bit too friendly in the case of the women).

Back