Where to stay on Amalfi coast?

Slim

We are heading to Naples airport in October. The original plan was to go to Sorrento but on research, it seems that Sorrento is a bit "touristy" and people favour other parts of the area such as Positano or Ravello. I am now thinking of renting a 'villa' or apartment somewhere around the penninsula as it all claims to be well served by bus.

My main interests are: getting to Pompeii and Herculaneum, sightseeing, getting to nice restaurants at night, nice views and, of course, value for money.

Has anyone here any experience of the area and recommendations for hotels or rentals?

Many thanks,

Slim

Last edited:
Hi

We stayed in Positano on our honeymoon in a hotel just outside it called il san pietro - very pricey - but it was our honeymoon! Positano is gorgeous - and no where near as packed or as touristy as sorrento. Ravello is beautiful also but is much higher. We organised a trip to pompeii and the hotel organised a taxi, guide and entrance - but it was about €100 each - pricey but recession hadn't hit us back then, and as i said, it was our honeymoon so we did go all out. however, i would absolutely recommend getting a tour in pompeii. we would have missed a huge amount of information if we didn't have the guide.

to be honest, to save money, i'd look at hiring a car - it depends on your confidence driving on the madness of the amalfi coast. but let me know if you want any more information. FYI we were there August 2008.

We stayed in Sorrento & got the local train- very cheap- to Pompeii & got the audio guide - so we could do it at our own pace which was great. Didn't make it to Herculeaneum but maybe next time? Positano is so lovely - steps back up to the road nearly killed me - especially when I found out there is a little bus to bring you up! Visit to Capri to see all the millionaire yachts - just great. Soooo jealous (wouldn't stay in Naples tho - very dodgy)

Hi. Just spotted this thread. If you want the kind of thing you cannot experience anywhere else in the world try Agriturismo Sant Alfonso. We've been at one wedding here, and stayed there again another time. It is just paradise. Micahela, who runs it, is one in a million. It's a real gem.

I know the area well. Buses are on time but not too plentiful, if you are up to driving in Italy I would deffo recommend it.

http://www.agriturismosantalfonso.it/

some reviews, all good:

Thanks all, some interesting views there. Very interested in Agriturismo St. Alfonso.

We stayed in Sorrento
TLC - what hotel did you stay in and do you recommend it?

More recommendations welcome.

slim

Hi Slim, take a trip to Capri if you have time. Beautiful island with nice boutiques and a chair lift trip up a mountain Anacapri with beautiful views of the greenery and the yachts!

Do yourself a favour and avoid Sorrento. It's way overrated and touristy to the point of tacky.

Anywhere else on the Amalfi Coast is preferable.

If you go to Capri take a pack lunch and leave the credit card behind, it has to be the most expensive place in the world, you would not believe it. We went, did a boat trip to the Grotto Azurro, our boat driver (?) allowed us to swim in there, beautiful.

I agree avoid Sorrento. It's more of a big town/small city whereas the other towns to the south have a nicer village feel. Positano is also quite big and bustling and is the main focal point for the area.

I've stayed in Praiano which is a couple of miles south of Positano and is much more tranquil. I'd recommend Ravello, Amalfi, or Praiano to stay. Ravello is stunning and perched high in the hills about a thousand feet above the sea. Priano is close to the main town of Positano but has the advantage of being less busy. Amalfi itself is a great little port town and is less touristy than Positano. Hard to go wrong with any of them.

Back