Where to source top quality kitchen

mloc

Re: How on earth can a kitchen cost 25k?

We are building a large kitchen extension early in the new year and I'm budgeting 25-30k for the kitchen units including worktops and excluding appliances.
For a top quality kitchen I think that is reasonable. Ours will be approx 15' long with a 9' return and include an island unit.

My big issue is who to choose. We're in Dublin.Any suggestions are welcome. We saw some beautiful kitchens in a magazine and online from a company in Westport (bit of a hike) called Creative Wood but I haven't seen anything yet in Dublin to get me excited.

My big issue is who to choose. We're in Dublin.Any suggestions are welcome. We saw some beautiful kitchens in a magazine and online from a company in Westport (bit of a hike) called Creative Wood but I haven't seen anything yet in Dublin to get me excited.
Have you looked in Dundrum Kitchens? I talked to a guy called Craig there who was very enthusiastic and seemed to be very creative, they have a very good range of stuff there.

I agree with you about Creative Wood kitchens, I've seen pictures of their stuff in magazines and it looks great. For the sort of money you're talking about I imagine they could produce something pretty exceptional, and again for that money surely it's quite likely they would send someone to see you? I've actually just glanced at their website and there's a photo there of a kitchen in Ranelagh, so they have been known to do kitchens outside Westport!

you'll pay 30k for creative wood and i think that might even exclude the granite, but definately excludes the flooring and appliances. reason why so dear? the carcasses are made from soild wood also rather than the usual chipboard type. This would have been half my total house furnish budget and i couldn't stretch so i went with a local sligo kitchen maker, got solid ash doors (and the dreaded chipboard carcasses) with steamed solid ash rounded ended press, pull out spice rack, larder press where drawers come out to meet you IYKWIM and corner press with swivel chrome inserts. included in price was 1.5 franke sink, nice tap and a walnut look-a-like laminate worktop. €7k and they even installed the extractor hood which meant boring through the cavity wall. beautiful job! after that i spent €5.5 on piece of work - a britianna double 1m cooker and the oh so effective, not to mention pretty, extractor hood. another approx €2k on integrated larder fridge, built in microwave and integrated dishwasher. would't change a thing, except the worktop if i could have afforded the further €4k for granite! my fella looked at me wierd when i suggested we pay approx €2k for a second car - cant understand it myself!!! our safety v's pretty oven??? oven every time (we still only have the one car!!)

We are building a large kitchen extension early in the new year and I'm budgeting 25-30k for the kitchen units including worktops and excluding appliances.

My big issue is who to choose. We're in Dublin.Any suggestions are welcome.

Hi,

my parents recently installed a new kitchen for about 20k. They went with a company called "BC Kitchens" based in Glenageary, and were extremely happy with them. The pre-sale service was very good, when the kitchen designer came out to the house and spent a couple of hours talking about what exactly my parents wanted and measuring the kitchen and coming up with examples of how to fit in all the applicances and presses etc. The installation was quick and the workers were neat, and when there was a minor problem that a drawer didnt slide properly, they came back out promptly to fix it.
I dont have any of their contact details, but could find out if you wanted.

Cheers,
Ragazza.

Do you know if they have a website?

My sense from some of the kitchen companies is that they are reluctant to design a kitchen for you until you have practically committed to buying from them, whereas I think if your going to spend 20-30k your entitled to ask for a design that can be compared in design and price to rivals.

Has anyone experienced this?

We are getting our kitchen from House of Coolmore

http://www.houseofcoolmore.com/index.php?p=contactus

They are based in Cork, but have a presence in Dublin.

We so far have had three meetings with them, and they have designed the kitchen, with (so far :eek: ) 3 changes by us, one of which was a complete re-think. They have given us drawings each time. We will be meeting them again to choose appliances etc.

The kitchen will be about €25K (and no, I didn't join in the previous thread about how a kitchen could cost that much :p )

So far, no money has changed hands, but we did buy our last kitchen from them about 7 years ago, so they know us. I get the impression that they will do up drawings, call out to houses etc. before any contract, but they obvously get the business.

Our last kitchen was a work of art, and I have nothing but praise for them, and their fitters. At one point the fitter replaced a full worktop because we didn't like the placing of the sink (the drainer was under the wall unit and you couldn't stack large ware on it). No problem, no grief, no cost, he just went and did it. When installing the microwave, the door above it didn't fit just right, so he took it back to the workshop and made another one to fit. Again, no drama involved.

That's why I'd recommend them. And i know that if anything were to go wrong with our new kitchen, a quick call and it would be sorted out.

creative woods have, or certainly did have, a display kitchen in Dundrum Kitchens. We had a quote from them for about 43k four years ago! decided to spend out budget on top quality appliances and got a local carpenter to build solid wood kitchen for us instead for 15k.

I make kitchens and I reckon you'd be better of going to a local cabinet maker... any cabinet maker worth his salt would be able to reproduce these very expensive kitchens for half the price...

After all 25K is a lot of money, especially when you consider that the materials may be only 4K to 6K (solid hardwoods, excellent hardware, granite and features like curved doors etc).... the rest can be spent on labour... your money will go a long way even if paying 2K a week for (skilled) labour...

I feel it is similar to when my mum needed a plumber, so she rang a large company.. only to be cheerfully told the rate was 120 Euro per hour!!! (Nearly 1,000 a day for a plumber!!!) That is way too expensive (imo), maybe hotels are prepared to pay it but you could get a plumber to work for 40 Euro a hour no problem, how is that company still in business charging 120 an hour?

If you asked a kitchen company to justify the 43K I wonder what the breakdown would be? 6K materials, 5K VAT, 4K overheads, 28K labour? Many people work an entire year for 28K....

As I say, try a local cabinet maker who will make any cabinets from hardwoods for 15K, check furniture.ie for very highly skilled cabinet makers. If necessary get a highly skilled painter to finish them.

Cheers
Joe

Back