Where to sell BMW318i ... and how much for?

V

vid1987

For all you car people ... the 2nd hand car market has changed so rapidly - would love some advice. Have a 01 BMW318i - petrol - 75k miles - great nick - etc etc. Have been offered the opportunity to buy a company car at a good price - so need to sell mine privately. Briefly put it on Buyandsell.ie and Cbg.ie pre christmas @ EUR11k but no joy. Need to start afresh for quick sale. [Did price comparison then which ranged from 10k - 13k]

Couple of questions - a) Is there a market out there to shift it b) where should I advertise it c).what price should I be looking for?

all advice and suggestions appreciated

Carzone.ie is the most popular site. I don't think 11k is a reasonable price as you can get a 2003 convertible one with mtech alloys and only half the miles on the clock from a proper dealer (Deerpark Motorgroup) for like 15k-ish (I was looking yesterday and came upon this). There is some serious competition out there with 3-series so if you want to shift it fast, you have to shift it cheap. Which probably defeats the purpose anyway. :p

Thanks for the advice. I will reduce the price and try Carzone.

It all depends on what kinda spec it has. Alloys are a must, 17" preferably...and not the M3 replicas unless it 'actually' looks like an M3 (so no saloons), sports seats another must (leather if possible). Upgrade the tail-light clusters for the new style ones and lose the orange indicator lenses. Sunroof will add desireability. If your car doesn't have these, then it'll never be noticed. Spend a few hundred quid on s.h. alloys and the rear light clusters and I guarantee you it'll pay for itself a few times over when it comes to selling. Check a scrappie for sports seats and you'll fare better too.
There's far too many 3-series out there with bog-standard spec and UK ones imported generally come fully loaded so there's big competition.

GLWS anyway.

" It all depends on what kinda spec it has. Alloys are a must, 17" preferably...and not the M3 replicas unless it 'actually' looks like an M3 (so no saloons), sports seats another must (leather if possible). Upgrade the tail-light clusters for the new style ones and lose the orange indicator lenses. Sunroof will add desireability. If your car doesn't have these, then it'll never be noticed. Spend a few hundred quid on s.h. alloys and the rear light clusters and I guarantee you it'll pay for itself a few times over when it comes to selling. Check a scrappie for sports seats and you'll fare better too.
There's far too many 3-series out there with bog-standard spec and UK ones imported generally come fully loaded so there's big competition.

GLWS anyway "

Thanks for response. With regard to competition - I have heard that UK imports are not as "safe" as others because they can be clocked and also prone to rust because of the salt on roads.
Is there any truth in this?

Thanks for response. With regard to competition - I have heard that UK imports are not as "safe" as others because they can be clocked and also prone to rust because of the salt on roads.
Is there any truth in this?
Well, short answer is "Yes". The UK salt ther roads and so if not properly washed regularly during the winter, it can lead to rust. As for clocking, well that happens here too but a pre-purchase inspection by the AA or RAC will highlight potential issues like that. However the larger market over there means that for every car of it's kind in Ireland, there'll be 10 in the UK.

Another site you might put the car on is gumtree.ie. Definitely lower your price. 11k is too much.

For all you car people ... the 2nd hand car market has changed so rapidly - would love some advice. Have a 01 BMW318i - petrol - 75k miles - great nick - etc etc. Have been offered the opportunity to buy a company car at a good price - so need to sell mine privately. Briefly put it on Buyandsell.ie and Cbg.ie pre christmas @ EUR11k but no joy. Need to start afresh for quick sale. [Did price comparison then which ranged from 10k - 13k]

Couple of questions - a) Is there a market out there to shift it b) where should I advertise it c).what price should I be looking for?

all advice and suggestions appreciated

€11K for a 8 year old 318i?

In the UK market that car is worth £3K at most.

I'll let you do the sums

A 01 318 is worth about 4000 to 4500 in the trade. So anything above that should be a bonus.

I think about 9k

buyers market don't think you would get that type of money.Guy near me is selling a CLK was offered 1000 less than what he was asking about 18months ago and refused he hasn't had an offer since.The prices you see cars being advertised for both private and trade are I would imagine not near the final sale price.Either keep the car or get what you can above the trade in value and go back with cash to the dealer

Back