Where to save regular large sums

Barley

Myself and the hubby are planning to start saving on a monthly basis. We can easily afford to save up to 2k a month between us, but it will more likely be somewhere between 1k-1.5k a month. A lot of the savings accounts I've looked at have maximum limits well below this. Any ideas on where is best to deposit our hard-earned cash are welcome.:)

Why would you be saving such large regular sums on deposit? Do you have short term plans for the money? Remember that even with the highest deposit rates on offer after inflation and DIRT the returns will probably be marginal and could even be negative.

Thanks. You see, this is the first time we've actually had the opportunity to start saving seriously (house, wedding etc prevented it up to now) so I haven't a clue wrt savings at all.

Are there other options? And I can imagine regular posters throwing eyes to heaven at my green-ness - please excuse it!:eek:

Are there other options? And I can imagine regular posters throwing eyes to heaven at my green-ness - please excuse it!:eek:
No problem. You have to start somewhere. Have a read of the key topics pinned to the top of this forum. In particular the AAM and IFSRA guides to savings & investments which explain stuff like how to plan/save for short, medium and long term goals.

By saving in , say, a fund with Eagle Star,like their property fund, and opening the fund up with a little help from an execution only broker, one can "drip feed" a monthly sum with no policy fee, no trailer, and only the standard 1% or similar, P.A. Management Charge. Raise a standing order or similar in your bank. The advantage of drip feeding is that if markets go up or down, you are feeding into the fund at different prices for the units you are buying in the fund. This way,if price of the units is low, you get extra units, and if high you get less. But it will mirror the price of units at all times and you will get a really good rate of return if you go into it with your eyes open, do not panic, and ensure you stay in the fund for the long haul. A fund like this over ,say 7 to 10 years will really surprize you as to how much money it will accumulate.If you know an actuary he / she would have a formula that would give a fairly accurate figure as to what you could expect at say 5, 10, & 12% per annum over 5 and 10 years.

If you know an actuary he / she would have a formula that would give a fairly accurate figure as to what you could expect at say 5, 10, & 12% per annum over 5 and 10 years.
Even an actuary cannot predict the future performance of a unit fund.

Myself and the hubby are planning to start saving on a monthly basis. We can easily afford to save up to 2k a month between us, but it will more likely be somewhere between 1k-1.5k a month. A lot of the savings accounts I've looked at have maximum limits well below this. Any ideas on where is best to deposit our hard-earned cash are welcome.:)

Bank of Ireland are offering 6.25% (ECB + 2.75%) on their Special Bonus Saver Ac for 18 months - you can save up to €1,000 per month into it and you have instant access to your funds all the time.
Not affiliated to BoI but it looks one of the best out there at the minute - a lot of restrictions on others eg. AIB capped at €300 per month and a lot of them don't allow withdrawals.
Check out their website

[broken link removed]

I haven't seen the details but I believe that Halifax are paying 6.5% for regular savers. If it's like the others it will be for two years only, limited to €1,000 per month with no hidden charges.

Still, sounds like a very good deal to me and will give you a nice lump sum in two years.

Based on an ECB rate of 3.5% the banks are competing to buy this money - presumably hoping you will leave the money on an ordinary deposit rate after this time.

I haven't seen the details but I believe that Halifax are paying 6.5% for regular savers. If it's like the others it will be for two years only, limited to €1,000 per month with no hidden charges.

Still, sounds like a very good deal to me and will give you a nice lump sum in two years.

Based on an ECB rate of 3.5% the banks are competing to buy this money - presumably hoping you will leave the money on an ordinary deposit rate after this time.

Halifax are paying 6.65% on amounts up to €750 per month - you can't miss a payment over the first 12 months or the rate will drop. You are also only allowed 2 withdrawals over the year so access is quite limited if an emergency comes up

The various lump sum and regular contribution high rate deposit accounts are listed in the Financial Best Buys forum and discussed in detail in various recent threads.

Back