Where to keep title deeds?

monkey0804

Not sure this is correct forum, but...
We recently paid off mortgage and got deeds of our house. It's quite a bundle of documents, not what I was expecting. Where is best to keep them?! If anything happened to them, I'm guessing it would be quiet the legal process to replace them. I wouldn't be concerned re theft just to keep them safe from fire, flood or other severe damage .

Any suggestions?

There are several threads on this issue already.
You should be able to find them using the search facility.

@monkey0804 See these threads:

Digital copy and the hard copy kept in a file organiser / filing cabinet along with lifes other important documents. Argos have handy sized ones for 37 quid, just go to the website and search "file" and the organiser / cabinet pops up.

Really, having a digital copy in the cloud and your emails covers all bases. That's how I store it anyway. It's all about digital nowadays.
Dunno why I bother with the hard copies anymore really, just force of habit I suppose.

Dunno why I bother with the hard copies anymore really, just force of habit I suppose.
Ah shure, you'll be grand. So long as you never want to sell the house or anything...

Personally I think it's a tad strange that on the one hand you're saying you don't need hard copies of deeds, and at the same time you've another thread asking why it takes so long to close a house purchase and questioning if your solicitor is doing their job properly.

Ah shure, you'll be grand. So long as you never want to sell the house or anything...

Personally I think it's a tad strange that on the one hand you're saying you don't need hard copies of deeds, and at the same time you've another thread asking why it takes so long to close a house purchase and questioning if your solicitor is doing their job properly.
What are you talking about? How do those threads relate at all?
My solicitor has the original deeds. I keep digital copies and hard copies but there's really no need for the hard copies anymore.

What does the length of time my solicitor takes to close a deal have to do with that?

What are you talking about? How do those threads relate at all?
My solicitor has the original deeds. I keep digital copies and hard copies but there's really no need for the hard copies anymore.

What does the length of time my solicitor takes to close a deal have to do with that?
OK, so your solicitor has the original hard copy deeds.

You might reread this thread and give advice on the actual question asked. The original poster was asking what to do with the ORIGINAL deeds which have been returned by the bank, not a copy of them which you seem to be talking about.

Wow, did you wake up on wrong side of the bed this morning. If you want to get particular about it, then the ORIGINAL DEEDS, aren't necessary. It's the folio that you want to take care of, obviously keep the deeds safe also. So my advice Mr Op is that the folio is your main document of title and the solicitors office will keep those safe for you. You should keep a digital copy obviously. Even if you do misplace those, a certified copy is only like €40

And my advice to you Mr Onion is that you don't need ORIGINAL DEEDS to sell a house and also to lighten up a bit.

Last edited:
No, I'm sure no one would recommend discarding any of them. However, It's not the huge deal it used to be if you do misplace them. I haven't had to do it myself, but I believe you can get certified copies of all your title documents now adays without too much hassle.

Maybe so.

But these kind of things can cause delays in closing house sales I'm told.
Perhaps, I don't know. Maybe that's what's taking mine so long recently! :)
Obviously as with almost everything, the original is better. I'd just like to let the op know that he doesn't have to be terrified of losing the document as from his original post it appears he is of the opinion that it would create a huge amount of difficulty for him but I don't think that's the case any more.

Really, having a digital copy in the cloud and your emails covers all bases. That's how I store it anyway. It's all about digital nowadays.

The following thoughts do not relate to title deeds specifically.

While I am a big fan of storing files (whether they are regular computer files or scans of physical documents) in the cloud, it is not a foolproof approach:
  • The cloud service provider could get hacked and have their data deleted, or they could go out of business
    • This has happened to small service providers in the past
  • You might get locked out of your account
  • Something might happen to you, and your loved ones might not be able to access your account, or they might not even know that you had such digital backups
So while cloud-based backups can be great, you should remember to treat them as just that – a backup – and not a replacement for the originals.

Thanks for all the advice. We aren't selling any time soon, so solicitor won't be involved. I had expected tthat the deeds were just a few sheets of paper , but it's quite a full folder. The house is about 55 years old, and the deeds included maps of area before it was built on (on size A1 paper, hard to get decent electronic copy of this size), the sale of land to housing developer, his plans (all going back to 70's), change or holding status and heaps more detailed items. We will copy and store electronically for what that is worth, however having had issues with lost will of deceased parent some years ago, I now understand how important original copies of documents are (in that case the copy of the original will was worth nothing - deeds may be different).

I've looked into home fireproof storage but that would protect from fire for 30 mins, so if it was house fire, it wouldn't be any good.

I think I will look into off site storage, but was this could be for decades (hopefully!) I don't want it to be off the chart expensive. Any opinions or advice on that?!

Back