where to go for staycation?

narky

Ok so we chickened out of going abroad with a 5 month old so we are staying in ireland. We've booked 3 nights in the carlton hotel in Kinsale and don't know what to do after that... completely stumped! Don't even know what to do re hotel or house. Please help. We are going to Kinsale next week and will have another week after that. any recommendations?

Because the baby is so small it doesn't have to have kids stuff. I'm worried about the weather and so maybe hotel with a pool would be good. but she is a nightmare if she doesn't get to bed before 8 so would it be realistic for us all to be sitting in a hotel room all eve?

My husband has turned into complete snob about accommodation too :p BUT might i stress we don't have 5 star budget ;) Ideally would love a good deal somewhere. Ok my post is all over the place sorry but time is fleeting

just back from carlton westport and if anything like it, you'll have a great time.

Have a seven month old and two year old (plus pre-teenager) and always fine if you plan everything you will be fine. make a list of what you need. hotel will supply travel cot or if like mine, slept in car seat carry tot. I brought steriliser, infant formula and plenty of washed bottles (maybe though you dont need them if breastfeeding). However I know a girl who uses a large 3 lt bottle as a steriliser and then you dont have the bother of bringing it home.

Plan to have dinner early and then I would pop her off to sleep. I have to say I had my little one out till eleven oclock while on hols in Killala, Mayo last june, slept whole night from seven onwards and there was a good crowd and two chaps playing fiddles. No body had a problem with her at all as she in travel system parked in a little corner. (I can the people giving out including my husband when he heard as he was at home).

I know I bring my ladies always when small down to the pool when fed, changed and ready to play or sleep. I leave baby always in the car seat just in a vest as pool area is always hot enogh with a little blanket. Hang up a few toys/play keys on the handle of the seat and then they'll have something to play with. and of course bring a bottle/dummy.

Really I find the holder that you wrap the child around your body vital for any places that a buggy wouldnt be allowed like in caves etc. Otherwise Id use the buggy.

As your baby is so small Id plan the holidays around what you would to do. Plus dont feel you cant go someplace just because you have a baby who may be screaming its head off for a couple of minutes. I find people are generally good and only think your tiny tot is only gorgeous.

Enjoy your break away.

try Ballina in Mayo. It is one of the most under rated places in the country. there is plenty to do and see. Enniscrone beach is 5 miles from Ballina.

second what nediaaa stated, spent a week in killala, fab, then booked two nights in westport, beautiful spot.

However sounds like kinsale booked, which is too far for us as small kids.....yet

Try Banna Beach in Kerry, great facilities etc and less of a spin than Westport with a baby.

When I first came across the term 'staycation', it was described as staying in your own home and treating is as a holiday home, i.e. spend as little time in it as possible, get out and do something every day.

Now it is taken to mean having a holiday without leaving the country. which is what most of us, over a certain age, did as kids long before we have a name for it other than 'the holliers'.

Not that it matters .. :eek:

We went back to our favourite place in Donegal again this year. 4 hours after leaving the house, we were there, without the hassle of airports, the cattle experience of charter flights, and the disappointment that the resort picked out of the brochure turn out to be just another anodyne mass tourism kip.

Back