Where to go for an idyllic lifestyle

Magoo

The current spell of good weather has prompted conversation about how much it contributes to the feel-good factor - how it lightens the mood and allows people to feel better about their lot. In a Van Morrison kind of way, it was asked "Wouldn't it be great if it was like this all the time?".

Given that this weather has to end soon, where do people think would be a reasonable place to extend the good mood? I thinking of when they win the lotto and feel like spending their winters abroad. In answering there would be a number of factors to bear in mind:

1. Paddies can take some, but not much, heat.
2. They still like their creature comforts (so no mudhuts)
3. The place would need to reasonably close to home (so no Australia)
4. it would need to somewhat green (So no deserts)

Anyone any thoughts?

My immediate preference would be California but think I would feel too much of a disconnect from home.

1. Paddies can take some, but not much, heat.
I don't quite agree with this - paddy has exposed himself to very extreme climates in the past and come through unscathed - or at least as unscathed as the locals.
From my own experience, the difference is when living in warmer climes, the weather warms up gradually, hence the body gets acclimatised - not quite the same as walking off a plane into a wall of stifling heat!! (obviously this is a very unscientific theory based on the experience of one individual - but i like it).
Anyway for what it's worth - Liguria in northern italy, Cote'd'azur in the south of france take a bit of beating.

Well, despite all the great weather we've been having I've never been so depressed but that's just me..... I think the ideal would be 6 months here and 6 somewhere warm during the winter.....I'm thinking Buenos Aires or somewhere.

Don't ask me how you do it though. Property developing maybe?

www.escapeartist.com Panama looks interesting. I agree with Chamar though, 6 months here and six months somewhere else. In my case downsize, buy something smaller with a large patio/balcony/small garden, two bedrooms, nice view and the other six months renting someone else's property without the hassle of ownership. What's stopping me I wonder......

Chamar said:
I think the ideal would be 6 months here and 6 somewhere warm during the winter.....

This is along the lines I was thinking - Oct/Nov to April/May. I also agree that, on balance, a long-term rent abroad would be preferable to the hassles of ownership. As Padraic Flynn would testify, I imagine it's hard work maintaining multiple properties and I wouldn't want to spend my six months working on the damn thing. A better idea would be to rent somewhere of a higher standard than you'd normally consider for your regular summer hols.

South of France and Liguria are nice places but what weather could one expect in the winter? Tuscany would be my obvious choice for hols but it freezes there in Winter. Would Sicily or Malta offer a greater chance of winter sun?

I think Monte Carlo gets 300 days of sunshine p.a - micro climate. Liguria could get a little colder.
Sicily and Malta both reasonably warm in the winter and there's no language problem with the maltese, sicily does get extremely hot in summer and you've got Etna and the Il Cosa Nostra (although neither are likely to impact on your sunbird lifestyle - ie migrates for the sun for 6 months).

Glenbhoy

Thanks

Malta it is! All I need now is the lotto win that would it possible.

Malta it is! All I need now is the lotto win that would it possible.
Damn, I was thinking that I might get the benefit of a weekend in your new villa sometime soon - funny actually how Malta seems to have escaped our attention in the mad splurge of irish investment going on overseas - i suppose the investment would be too transparent, what with their legal system being so similar to ours etc....

AFAIK, property is already quite expensive there - maybe not by irish standards but perhaps when judged against geographically close alternatives.

If my numbers come up, I'll let you know.:)

my own preference would be San Francisco.... forget the incidentals of weather, distance, etc.... This is one of the few cities that I've visited that felt like it had a real lifestyle behind it... in fact it was the most 'irish' US city i visited in terms of feeling like you could get to know your neighbours and chat to strangers!
Ok earthquakes are a consideration, but nothing in life is perfect!

And Napa valley close by...

Apart from your need to be reasonably close to home, New Zealand would be perfect. The thing I hate most about winter is the short days so I would love to spend 4-6 months a year on the South Island in NZ - it's not quite as far south as we are north but it would still be lovely and bright in the evenings in their summertime. Weather is great for Irish people - fairly hot in their summer but nowhere near desert conditions. Scenery is lovely and green. It's english-speaking and quite unpopulated but there's loads to do and the people are friendly. It's just a shame it's so far away.

Morocco, just over 3 hours and great "winter" weather along the South Med.
Opening their airports to the multitudes in 2007, next hot spot IMO

muzaway said:
May not be entirely necessary to rent...you could house swap! Plenty of year-round-sunshine types would love the variation provided by a mild Irish winter.

http://www.homelink.ie/

eh??, why would want an Irish winter?? Its wet & cold (and the damp cold bites).

today fm this evening - Morocco is the next real property hot spot, all the fast money pouring in, Spain over built, but expect a soft landing because of the good weather and great infrastructure.

Clearwater, Florida. Living there at the mo' and absolutely loving it.

Back