Where to get insurance for unoccupied house?

P

paulr919

I am looking for house insurance for an unoccupied house in dublin. Owner is an elderly relative who has gone into hospital unlikely to return. So far I am unable to get a quote. Anyone know of any any company that will quote for an unoccupied house
It looks like the relative never had insurance on the house so I can't go to the current insurers as there is none

Title edited by ClubMan

Hi PaulR,

I had a similar situation a few years ago. I called into an insurance broker who advised me on the situation.

An unoccupied house costs a lot more to insure plus there are issues of turning off the water at source and adding extra security locks etc.

Since it was my intention to spend a few weeks a year in the house (new year, easter, a few weekends and some time in the summer) the broker suggested that I insure it as a summer home. This was less expensive and less onerous in terms of water etc.

ajapale

Could you rent out the property ? Bring in some income for your relative while ensuring it doesn't go unoccupied.

It cant be rented as it is not in a good condition internally - The relative was very old - without a lo of work being done

Renting it might also complicate the tax position should it be sold in the future

Just curious as to how renting it would complicate the tax position if sold in the future?

(In any case it is an academic question as the property cant be let out without renovating).

donegal.

Back