Where to get Chinese Currency?

Kevvfr

Hi all,
My daughter is going on a school trip to China, and we've been told to get some Chinese money so I've asked AIB, ULSTER BANK and AN POST but none do it, we haven't asked BANK OF IRELAND yet but I was told they might not either, so does anyone know where to get it,
Thanks.

Can she simply use a Revolut card over there? China are at the forefront of accepting digital payments.

Last time I was there you could only get the currency in the country. ~10 years ago. Not all ATMs accepted western cards at that time. Use ATMs at airports or western hotels.

We have to get her a card as well at short notice so don't know how we'll manage that, they need a certain amount of cash for spending money on the university campus etc.
I've never heard of a Revout card CiaranT??

Fexco and the CU would have been my first thought too, check if you have to have an account with CU though as you do here locally to be able to collect the currency there.

We have to get her a card as well at short notice so don't know how we'll manage that, they need a certain amount of cash for spending money on the university campus etc.
I've never heard of a Revout card CiaranT??

"Latest and Greatest" thing since sliced bread, that and N26 card(s).

Google it (RevoLut BTW, not Revout) well worth having for foreign exchange.

I don't know if this is true. Once you get Chinese money you cannot take it out of China on your return

I was in China last May and I was able to order it from the Ulster Bank. However I do have an account there.

The Chinese Embassy is in Ballsbridge, you may find that they have their bank account in one of the Ballsbridge banks. Worth your while checking this out. If not contact the Bank of Ireland at Dublin Airport. They keep stocks of most currencies.

My son travelled to China with his school in 2016. I was able to order Yuan from Bank of Ireland subject to their standard 3 working days notice.

If you're considering using a Revolut card, be aware that ATM withdrawals are limited to EUR 200 per month, regardless of how much you have loaded on the card.

If it's a school trip, could your daughter ask her friends how their parents are getting the currency?

Tarfhead said up there that Revolut withdrawls are limited to €200 a month. is this true? I'm going travelling soon and am planning on using Revolut and will need to withdraw much more than that. I thought it was €200 is withdrawn free and a charge after that?!?

Tarfhead said up there that Revolut withdrawls are limited to €200 a month .. €200 is withdrawn free and a charge after that?!?

You're right. Withdrawals up to 200 are 'free', and there's a 2% charge on amounts above that threshold. I'm allergic to paying someone to mind my money ;) !

School trip to China... we went to Turlough Hill.

Was thinking the same!!

We went to the Carroll's cigarette factory in 4th year, stopping off to look at the field where the Battle of the Boyne took place.

Didn't get any free ciggies either :(

Back