Where to buy: Cork?

Aidan23gd

Okay, well I saw another post about moving to Cork except my criteria is slightly different.

Basically I'd like to know a few things:
1) North or South of river?

I know that in Dublin that there, in general, are more positive connotations associated with the South Side. (Not saying that this is my view!)

2) Where?!

I had a little look around Daft.ie and firstly was shocked by the prices! Good areas in Dublin seem to be as cheap or cheaper. So far I like the look of Bishopstown, namely the 'Model Road', which seems nice. I'm looking for a mature area, and if at all possible please specify estate/street names to take a look at.

I'm looking for a house, not really into apartments. Area. . In close proximity to city centre, preferably a suburban area eg. Blackrock/Bishopstown, which is close to the city but not in the midst of it!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, looking forward to getting some info!

Last edited:
Re: Cork?

Model Farm Road is nice and you will pay nicely to buy in there.

(You need to edit your thread's title to reflect your query a little more or the mods will ban responses to your query until you do! And if you don't they'll close your thread!)

Thanks for the title tip ;)

Any downsides to Model Farm Road that you can think of? (Other than price ofcourse!)

There seems to be a huge range in prices on the road, anything from 500k to 2m, which is slightly odd. . But I assume there are lots of different estates on it.

Ballinlough might be worth a look.

Its close to the city, is settled, close to schools, buses into town are fairly regular, O'driscoll shop has a nice hot food and meat counter, and douglas and mahon shopping centres are close by.

If you don't know Cork well, prehaps you should rent for a while before you buy so you can a feel for the place?

Traffic in Bishopstown.Douglas/Rochestown can be horrendous!! So you do pay for convenience to the city - work having a look at the traffic some school morning, it may be a surprise - just a thought!

What is your budget?

Very generally speaking, south of the river would be considered the better side of Cork. That said, Montenotte and Sundays Well are north and they would be considered some of the best parts of Cork.

Blackrock, Ballinlough and Douglas all have nice mature parts to them. The Model Farm road is a nice area but it is a mix of grand old houses and student accommodation given its proximity to the colleges. I've always thought that Bishopstown is a little over priced for what you get for your money - even in the current climate.

If you give more details you might get a better response. Are you looking for a family home close to schools? Does it have be over a certain square footage?

i would say blackrock, Ballinlough and the lough in that order' living in Douglas and would not really recommend it. its 7 miles out and is being built up as a really busy suburb as opposed to the leafy, quiet mature areas you can get in the city.

i would say blackrock, Ballinlough and the lough in that order' living in Douglas and would not really recommend it. its 7 miles out and is being built up as a really busy suburb as opposed to the leafy, quiet mature areas you can get in the city.

It depends on which part of Douglas you are looking at. For example the Douglas road has some fantastic mature areas (e.g. close to the Cross Doulas Road) which would be less than a 30 minute walk from Patrick Street. And if you are on the city side of Douglas the traffic is not that bad.

Blackrock, Ballinlough and Douglas all have nice mature parts to them. The Model Farm road is a nice area but it is a mix of grand old houses and student accommodation given its proximity to the colleges. I've always thought that Bishopstown is a little over priced for what you get for your money - even in the current climate.

If you give more details you might get a better response. Are you looking for a family home close to schools? Does it have be over a certain square footage?

Yes, well I'm looking for a mature part.

I found that too about The Model Farm road, it has a big mix of nice houses but then I saw an ugly apartment complex there too, so obviously there is a huge mix of properties there.

As for the details about schools and such, I'm a single person with no intentions of being anything but that for a while! I think, though, it is important to be near schools and such for when I wish to move for resell value... rent-ability.. and such.

Square footage... at least 1200sq ft, and at least three bedrooms. Preferably an oldish house as opposed to new ones, although I am open to buying a new house I personally prefer older styled houses.

Thanks!

Back