Where to buy an iPod online???

B

Bull

Hi there,

Anyone know any good reliable online sites to buy and iPod?

I would recommend buying from the US, because of the exchange rate. Tray www.amazon.co or www.walmart.com
Even after settling with customs you should save alot of money, but work it out before hand. Ideally would be to order and ship to a friend/relative in the US, and have them send it as a gift.

ipod

the apple store.

[broken link removed]

cool offer to have it engraved.

Re: ipod

Don't forget that there are other, often cheaper and more fully featured, MP3 player alternatives to iPods. I believe that Apple zealots call them iPod clones. :lol Browse back through this forum for some relevant discussion about such alternatives and buying MP3 players etc. For what it's worth Lidl's new store in Moore Street, Dublin 1 is doing 20GB MP3 players for €199 this Thursday but I have no idea about specifications, build/sound quality etc.

Don't forget that there are other, often cheaper and more fully featured, MP3 player alternatives to iPods.

True, but none of them have quite the same cool factor as the iPod...

True, but none of them have quite the same cool factor as the iPod..

Many of the have better sound quality, easier/cheaper battery replacement, better features, better host software and are cheaper which I consider more important. But if you value "cool" over these criteria then who am I to disagree?

ipods

My ARCHOS AV420 has just arrived on my desk from Amazon. Blown away by the quality of the video screen. Drooling at the idea of storing my DIVX and XVID movies so I can purposely plan a trip away just for the excuse to watch them. 20 Gigs will store about 20 movies and 1500 songs. Forget "cool" Ipod, this has the best of both worlds - can record direct from television, vcr or dvd player.

Many of the have better sound quality, easier/cheaper battery replacement, better features, better host software and are cheaper which I consider more important. But if you value "cool" over these criteria then who am I to disagree?

Coolness, strong design and ease of use are definitely strong factors in why people choose the iPod and make it so popular. You can't deny that there is a certain street-cred missing from some of the competing MP3 players.

You have to balance the features you want versus the price and the design.

Also worth nothing:
a. AAC has better sound quality than MP3 even at the default 128kbps. AAC has been chosen as the audio format for 3G phones and for the PC content on high-resolution music discs such as DVD Audio discs.

b. The iTunes PC / Mac player is widely regarded as having best user interface and being the easiest to use. It will be even better when the iTunes download service is launched in Ireland.

c. Recent iPod models have better battery life.

I do agree however that iPods are priced a bit on the high side, especially on this side of the Atlantic. A removable battery would also be a good idea.

Ultimately, I think the rumoured Flash-memory iPod will be a killer app. 1 GB SD cards are only €200 now, with higher capacities on the way. Flash players will blow Hard Disk players into the sunset. :)

Coolness, strong design and ease of use are definitely strong factors in why people choose the iPod and make it so popular. You can't deny that there is a certain street-cred missing from some of the competing MP3 players.

As I said, each to their own. I'm happy enough with [broken link removed] myself and don't worry if I'm considered "uncool"! :)

AAC has better sound quality than MP3 even at the default 128kbps.

Are you sure that has been independently verified? Either way for better sound quality with any format you just up the bit rate and/or switch to variable bitrate sampling.

Recent iPod models have better battery life.

Some Creative devices such as the [broken link removed] play for up to 22 hours on dual LiION batteries. And the batteries can easily be sourced and DIY installed. Not so with the iPod as far as I know.

1 GB SD cards are only €200 now, with higher capacities on the way. Flash players will blow Hard Disk players into the sunset.

I'd say it'll be a while before larger capacity flash memory based devices are able to compete with hard disk based devices on price and capacity.

As I said, each to their own. I'm happy enough with this myself and don't worry if I'm considered "uncool"! :)

Fair enough. The Nomad Jukebox is a bit on the slightly enormous side for me. I prefer the iPod Mini or the similarly sized Sony NW-HD1 which has 20 GB.

Anyway, I am sure there are enough pointers in this thread for the original poster (Bull) to list his/her preferences in terms of size, weight, remote control, colour or mono screen, usability, design, sound quality, favourite codec support, picture support, video support, not forgetting about coolness / chic / va-va-voum / "X" factor / desirability / sex appeal and not to mention, last but not least, price and availability. :)

Bought on ebay a 1Gb flash memory clone MP3 player for €113. No faults and stores all my songs.

[broken link removed]

Bought on ebay a 1Gb flash memory clone MP3 player for €113. No faults and stores all my songs.

Looks good - very cheap - perfect if all your music fits into 1GB.

Now, a 5GB one for €300 would be great...

Mind you, what's the sound quality like - I could be wrong but it looks a little as if it is targeted at the voice memo market primarily?

Back