Where to buy a quality fold away road bike?

G2007

Any suggestions as to what make/brand, where to buy/wholesale if possible?
Its for a gift for the father.. I believe GIANT are a good make?
Cheers!!

I bought a bike recently from Belfast and saved over €100 on the price here (including the delivery), It wasn't a folding bike mind, but have a look and maybe e-mail them to see what they can do ?

www.realcycles.com

Any suggestions as to what make/brand, where to buy/wholesale if possible?
Its for a gift for the father.. I believe GIANT are a good make?
Cheers!!

depends on what you want it for but for the type of people who commute daily etc, the brompton is hard to beat, though may be more expensive...

This is one of my favourites :)

[broken link removed]

See [broken link removed]for other interesting combinations.

Thanks dym_syhp but think the father would look strange in the cycling lanes on that one!!! :eek:

G2007,

This is something I have very limited knowledge on but I do know that these guys www.worldwidecycles.com have that brand that you mentioned as I have seen it on their website.

Declaration of interest : I did buy a childs bike there recently as the shop is local to me.

If you're in Dublin pop into Square Wheel Cycles in Temple Bar and have a chat with Ciaran (Kieran?).

Just to give this subject some air...

I've just bought a Dahon Jack; it's too early to give a full review but it's very solid and well-made, folds well (although with 26'' wheels it doesn't go very small).

On the general subject, does anyone have experience of bringing a folder on public transport? I ask because I have a 30 min walk to the train station and a 30 min walk at the other end - I'm hoping this bike will save me 40'ish mins per day. I found this in the Irish Rail FAQ:
Q. Can I bring my bicycle onto the train?
A. Bicycles:
Can not be conveyed on DART or Commuter trains unless folded and suitably covered. My translation: Can be conveyed on DART or Commuter trains if folded and suitably covered.

Does anyone have any practical experience of doing this, ie folding and covering and bringing on th train? I would only plan to do this on quieter trains, not the Calcutta specials at 8:00 - 8:30 am.

Thanks for your help...

you should be fine with that, looks a great bike. people carry suitcases and large bags on the train all the time, can't see the difference with this if it is folded up and covered.

I had a cheaper no gear fold up bike from argos to do my 30 min each way journey from hueston to work when I worked in Dublin. It didn't have a cover and there was no bother bringing it on the train except for once when i wheeled it up to the door and a guy wanted me to bring it to the cycle carriage but I folded it there and then he was grand

Just to give this subject some air...

I've just bought a Dahon Jack; it's too early to give a full review but it's very solid and well-made, folds well (although with 26'' wheels it doesn't go very small).

On the general subject, does anyone have experience of bringing a folder on public transport? I ask because I have a 30 min walk to the train station and a 30 min walk at the other end - I'm hoping this bike will save me 40'ish mins per day. I found this in the Irish Rail FAQ:
Q. Can I bring my bicycle onto the train?
A. Bicycles:
Can not be conveyed on DART or Commuter trains unless folded and suitably covered. My translation: Can be conveyed on DART or Commuter trains if folded and suitably covered.

Does anyone have any practical experience of doing this, ie folding and covering and bringing on th train? I would only plan to do this on quieter trains, not the Calcutta specials at 8:00 - 8:30 am.

Thanks for your help...

I bring my folding bike on the Calcutta Express. Doesn't take up much more space than a small wheely suitcase. I just make sure that I don't 'hog' the space around the door. I never had it covered.

IE staff, in the beginning, insisted that I fold it before getting to the train but now they've no hassle with me wheeling it down the platform and folding it just as I get on. If it's quiet there is no prob with bringing it on unfolded and folding it down as it get busier.

Back