Where should I keep the file for my house?

WhoAmI

My wife and I bought our house nearly three years ago. We used one of the two firms of solicitors who were closed down in a much publicised case in late 2007. After the Law Society had gone through the files, we were contacted and the entire file relating to our house purchase was handed over to us.

Should I hold on to this or pass it to the building society for safe-keeping? Or should I or engage another solicitorto look after it?

hmm...I have this problem with my will. It went from the original firm of solicitors to one who set up on her own, & let me know. That's fine. Now I see her firm seems to have vanished - dunno if she went out of business or moved or what. How on earth would my heirs track it down, in the event I die in a house fire and my copy goes up in smoke? (I got extra fire alarms installed, but haven't done anything else about it!)

Find a decent sized firm of solicitors and leave your papers with them. OP if you have a mortgage the original papers should be with the lender. If you lose your Title documents, you could be in real bother as without them you would not be able to sell your property without a huge amount of hassle.

Back