Where is the best place to store digital photos?

lucy

Where do people store their digital photos and videos? All mine are stored on one laptop and I am concerned that if the laptop was stolen or crashed then I would loose all my photos. I am copying them onto an external hard drive. But is it better to store them on line somewhere? And if so, do you have any recommendation where to store them ? And does it cost much to store them safely online?
Thank you

Hi,

There are lots of "free" areas on the web to store them (picassaweb is one I use), but some sites may compress the photos themselves to save space, so if you copy them down again, the quality might be impacted (should only notice the difference when printing)... but for easy quick access, then an external hard drive is a good back up...

Depending on the size of the photo collection you have, then you should be able to get a large external disk for under €100 which should suit your needs...

Depending on the size of the photo collection you have, then you should be able to get a large external disk for under €100 which should suit your needs...

I have a few of these and I keep them in different physical locations and it works for me. I also make a point of printing off my favourites so that you also have the old-fashioned hard copy.

I have mine on two different Macs, backed up on two external drives also and alot of them on thumb drives as well. You can never have too many copies.

I certainly wouldnt continue with just a copy on your laptop if the photos are valuable to you.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will invest in a second external hard drive as another back up and put it in my parents house. My concern is that if someone broke into my house and stole the laptop the chances are that they might take the back up hard drive as well. I would be absolutely devastated if I lost all my photos and videos. I am going to go through my collection ( and it is vast ) and print off lots of them as well. You can't beat looking at real photos in your hand!

Can you keep the second hard drive at your workplace? Might be handier than the parents house?

I use pix.ie for photos. The monthly limit is 500MB & they keep photos in the original format.
I also use mozy.ie to back up my laptop (selected folders) online.
I have an external hard-drive, but I'm just not disciplined enough to use it regularly

I am not a technie.
But I bought an external hard drive recommended by a techie friend a few years ago.
Maybe it was me, but when I reloaded my lap top from the hard drive it had reformatted some of the photos into thumbnails permanently.

Also alot of my photos duplicated again and again.
I have probably 1000s of photos and all these duplicates are a PITA.

My friend had her photos backed up on a hard drive and it was stolen with her camera and laptop during a burglary.

You need to keep multiple copies and in different places. The web is simply another place to keep them. Though security maybe an issue with online storage.

You have to consider if the house/office was robbed or there was a fire, is your backup safe. Also you should test by looking at you backup's every so often. In general you should have different backups of different periods. Like some for the last week. 6 months ago, a year ago.

Even put some of them onto DVD and store them that way, and obviously print some now and then.

But don't go overboard. Most people have no backup of their non digital photos. Never had.

Finally don't forget to include the mobile phones in the backup. For many people the only memory they have of a special moment is on their phone.

It is simple , you can choose any image hosting site as you want . so go to Google and search image or video hosting site free or premium . thanks

Whatever about storing them online make sure you back them up on an external hard drive.

Back