Key Post Where is the best location/city to apply for bankruptcy in the UK?

Steve Thatcher

I certainly agree that the Uk and bankruptcy is the answer. [for this case study, from which I have moved this important discussion - Brendan]

Just a word of caution. I am actively encouraging clients now not to relocate to London. The reason is that the bankruptcy order will not be made on the day you initially go to court. Anywhere is better than London now. I try to do most of my cases through Liverpool, the reason is that the order is made on the same day, and the Official Receiver is used to dealing with Irish Bankrupts

Steve Thatcher

[broken link removed]

Last edited:
Brendan
As far as i know, Belfast is the only court where Bankruptcy proceedings can be heard. Therefore the banks can watch that list quite easily.

Brendan
As far as i know, Belfast is the only court where Bankruptcy proceedings can be heard. Therefore the banks can watch that list quite easily.

I really don't think the banks are a problem. As namawinelake points out Nama have said that they really have no beef about anyone going bankrupt in NI or Eng. I think they got over that some time ago

Brendan

The location of the court is not important. The person has to be living in Northern Ireland though. So someone can move to Newry and apply for bankruptcy in Northern Ireland.

I very much doubt if the Irish lenders would bother mounting an objection. I doubt if their objection would be upheld.

It is worth their while trying to get people like Sean Quinn bankrupt in the Republic rather than in N.I. but they can't do it where the sums are "only" a few hundred thousand euro which they are not going to get back anyway.

Brendan

I have had situations as well where Nama had notice of the bankruptcy hearing for "huge debts" and they have not turned up at the hearing.

As long as you properly set up your COMI properly there is no need to worry at all about getting the bankruptcy order.

As the application for bankruptcy is made 'ex parted' ie without notice to the o/s you have to come to the application with clean hands, that is why the mcfeeney bankruptcy is being challenged, as he didn't let the court know he had bankruptcy proceedings pending in Dublin

Steve

Establishing COMI in UK

Hi Steve , out of interest, does the person intending on going bankrupt in the UK have to be working in the UK ? or can they move from Ireland and sign on for welfare and wait and live until the time has passed enough to declare bankruptcy ? I've been told of people signing on in Liverpool and sitting it out for 4 months before going bankrupt.

Hi Steve , out of interest, does the person intending on going bankrupt in the UK have to be working in the UK ? or can they move from Ireland and sign on for welfare and wait and live until the time has passed enough to declare bankruptcy ? I've been told of people signing on in Liverpool and sitting it out for 4 months before going bankrupt.

My preference is always for people To work if they can. The simple truth is that if you have a wage slip you can show you have been habitually resident un the UK. If you sign on, which is permissible then it may be open to argument that you may have simply flown in to sign in every two weeks

In reality you also need to do other things such as use a bank account frequently, use your utilities etc.

Establishing a COMI is a parcel of things and it is all about creating the whole picture, signing on/ working being just one element

Steve

This thread is about where the best place is to go bankrupt in the UK.

Any other posts on general bankruptcy issues will be deleted.

what if

If a person has a uk passport, born in uk and existing RSI number is it still necessary to establish comi?

Born in uk, have pass port and old rsi number from student days!!

Myself and my husband are considering moving to UK to declare bankrupcy, we have family near Chester, we also thought this would be a good location as its near enough to Holyhead, Liverpool and Manchester for friends and family to come over to us.
Is this a good location ? What would be the nearest court for this ?

Where is best place to apply for bankruptcy ?

Would appreciate any thoughts/comments/advice about my post ?

Yes you need to re-establish a COMI. A least three months in an area before you can consider presenting a petition

Steve

Myself and my husband are considering moving to UK to declare bankrupcy, we have family near Chester, we also thought this would be a good location as its near enough to Holyhead, Liverpool and Manchester for friends and family to come over to us.
Is this a good location ? What would be the nearest court for this ?

Sorry I must have missed this. Chester is a good place for bankruptcy. I have one cases here and they went through very smoothly.
I have also done cases in Liverpool and Manchester in this area.

To update everyone I have now completed Irish bankruptcy cases in the following courts:-
Royal Courts of Justice London
Central London County Court
Croydon
Wolverhampton
Liverpool
Manchester
Chester
Durham
Newcastle
York
Carlisle
Banbury

Steve Thatcher
Www.debtoptions.ie

Last edited:
You can go bankrupt in Belfast if you follow the rules

It is possible to go bankrupt in Belfast. I have taken a number of people through without any hassle in the last few months.
The Judge there is very tough but following my rules and doing what I say will get you through. It will be uncomfortable but then nothing about this process is easy and writing off your debt will make it all worth it.

Steve Thatcher

Www.debtoptions.ie

Company Name

Hi, I am just looking at starting the proceedings to go bankrupt in th UK. Does anyone have a suggestion of a legal company I should contact in Liverpool or London for this?

Back