Where is my gas meter?

Pieface

I feel very stupid asking this question but what the heck.
I have the new smart meter installed a few months ago. I have 3 white boxes in the wall at the side of the house - 1 big one and 2 small ones. I can see the smart meter in the big box. And I don’t see any meters in the 2 small boxes. I can see T2 and some numbers on the smart meter and I have determined that that is my electricity reading. My question is where is my gas reading?
As you probably can tell, this is the first time I have attempted to get my electricity and gas readings.
Thanks.

I have natural gas.

In my house there are two large meter boxes with doors, plus two small boxes with doors.

The two large ones are for elec and gas.

The two small ones are telecoms/cable TV.

Note that the smart meters being installed nationwide are to replace the elec meters.

My question is where is my gas reading ?

Not all houses have gas meters, do you have gas appliances ? if yes there is a seperate gas meter somewhere on your property. Gas meters are not smart and still have to be read.

I did not have a gas meter until I got natural gas heating and a gas hob. The gas company then put one in from the mains that was underground in the side passage.

This is mind boggling. It has always been those 3 boxes and I have always had gas. I see the smart meter but I don’t see any other meter.

Mind boggling alright.

Somebody has been reading your gas meter all this time.

If no one ever called to your door looking to read your meter, then it has to be outside.

The meter reader has managed to find it for all this time so there must be another obvious box somewhere on your property.

Last edited:
I have the new smart meter installed a few months ago. I have 3 white boxes in the wall at the side of the house - 1 big one and 2 small ones. I can see the smart meter in the big box. And I don’t see any meters in the 2 small boxes. I can see T2 and some numbers on the smart meter and I have determined that that is my electricity reading. My question is where is my gas reading?
As you probably can tell, this is the first time I have attempted to get my electricity and gas readings.
Thanks.

Is there a white box in your garden, next to a garden wall?
If gas wasn't installed during the house build, the meter may have been placed in the garden.

The gas meter will have a copper pipe going in 1 side and out the other.

Generally a bit thicker than your thumb

Could you ask a neighbour where their gas meter is? They may be able to point out where yours is.

@Pieface If the above suggestions havent worked, contact your gas network company.
many years ago i had a summer job on the meter reading desk at a utility company, and part of the account info was the location of the meter. Was very useful when people rang giving the reading from the wrong meter!

Reactions: Leo
Back