Where in Cavan??

I worked in Bailieborough a few years ago and I have never come across a more backward town or more horrible people

I've friends who moved up to Cavan some years ago, living between Virgina and Ballyjamesduff. Considered the move ourselves with my working in the CS and decentralisation - that won't happen now for me.

My friends love where they are and the people around are fab. We spend every New Years up their now and several times in between. If work wasn't an issue for both DH and I we'd have moved long ago.

However Bailieborough is one place I would not go to, its developed a horrible name for itself and so has Ballyjamesduff village. There are too many "developments" - estates in my words and to be honest theres a lot of "particular sort of Dubs" who I wouldn't want to live beside in Dublin let alone if I moved out to the Countryside.

I have witnessed this for myself so its not hearsay. If your near the N3 anywhere between Virgina and the Lavey Inn (about 20 mins drive from Virgina) that wouldn't be too bad driving distance but any further into Cavan town and it would really add to your journey into Dublin. My advise would be if you are moving dont move into an estate - sorry development, you can get plenty of that in Dublin already.

I'm from Cavan Town and my wife commutes to Dublin, she is based on the North Side so it's not too bad but it does get tiring. I know two Dublin couples who have moved to Cavan Town in the past 4 years and they seem to be getting on fine. A better option commute wise might be Mullagh near Virginia which is a village. It is close to the Meath border and is rural although there has been a lot of development there in the last few years. The national school is good, friend of mine has their child there and loves it. Secondary schools in Virginia do have big enough numbers at the minute. Worth taking a look anyway.

I work in north Meath, just a few minutes from the Cavan border. I have found many of the people of that area to be the most clannish I have ever come across. Ignorance and rudeness and a seriously bad attitude toward Dublin people are all par for the course. A friend who works in Mullagh in Cavan has experienced the same thing. This seems to be most prevelant in those in the 20 to 40 age group. Older people seem more accepting. I think this is because most of the younger people never needed to move away to find work, so they lived in a sort of cocoon. A 32 year old woman I worked with told me last year - "I went to that new shopping centre in Blanchardstown yesterday. It's amazing". I live in Westmeath about 10 minutes from Mullingar, where they are a lot friendlier.

Ignore all those negative comments. A place is what you make it. Get involved locally and people will make an effort to welcome you.

There are several nice parts of Cavan - some good long established schools in Cavan town - Loretto College, St. Pat's and there is a third level college there now I am told. plenty of nice mature areas around the town too.
Having said all of that I don't know if I would want to commute to Dublin every day though.

im sad to read you think were all backward & nasty in Cavan.Im From B.Boro.. not a native but have lived here 10 years or so.Like any small town you get the old farts but generally its a good place.we have 5 primary schools,1 secondary school,after school clubs,3 montessori's,A swimming pool & Gym,Gaa Club,Great soccor team,Huge Liberary,great Hotel,school of music,2 Gp Surgarys,3 Banks,a Credit union,a Supervalue And A Brand spanking New Tesco's yay!!% only 55 mins from Blanchardstown

I wouldnt recommend Bailieboro at all. Its got to be a very rough town. I'd recommend either Shercock or Carrickmacross. Both lovely places, friendly people and within easy commuting distance to North County Dublin, both also have a daily private bus service to the city centre too.

paddy in ballyjamesduff was peeling the wallpaper off the living room wall when his friend mikey arrived "ah paddy doin a bit o decoratin" "no" says paddy " i'm movin to virginia"

Well, you could always get familiar with the story about the Mullahoran Bull while resident in Cavan. Otherwise a horrid county with bad roads and even worse attitudes. It really should be fenced in.

I'm never heard such ignorant comments about anywhere and some of the people making the comments have probably barely (if ever) visited Cavan.

I personnally would not like to commute that distance but I've never found the people in Cavan anything other than friendly and welcoming.

In every town/county/city in this country you'll find old farts who don't want blow ins but you shouldn't judge a complete community by a few of it's members.

Hello,

I wanted to ask about opinions about The Gallops, in Cavan. It looks like a nice estate to me, not too close to town but with easy access. Does anyone know the place?

Thanks a lot.

paddy in ballyjamesduff was peeling the wallpaper off the living room wall when his friend mikey arrived "ah paddy doin a bit o decoratin" "no" says paddy " i'm movin to virginia"

The only point proven there is the one that states " The old jokes are the best "

I spent quite a lot of time in Cavan as I was going out with a guy who worked there for a number of years. I loved it, and the houses were amazing - stuff like the Forest Park as well, Belturbet, best steak ever in Ballinagh - and I was only 62.4 miles from my front door.

However - that 62.4 miles on a Monday morning meant me leaving at 6am as any time after that, there was no chance of me getting into work for 9am. I haven't been on the new M3 recently so I don't know if that's changed.

The other thing I would agree with is incredibly clannish - we booked cinema tickets on my credit card and it wouldn't go through, but later was taken off my card. I looked for a refund, and the cinema called my then boyfriend on his mobile to say refunded. Comment was 'we know you're going out with the Dublin one'

However to this day, I can do a great Cavan accent!

Back