Where do you get advice on mortgages and separation?

Dublin Divorce

Where do you get “good advice” in this type of situation? What professional do you go to? Financial advisor, solicitor, other?

It depends on the situation and the question.

If you have agreed everything with your ex, then talk to your lender to see if they will facilitate what you want to do.

If your lender won't facilitate you, talk to a mortgage broker.

If you can't agree, then it's primarily a legal issue, so talk to your solicitor.

Brendan

It depends on the situation and the question.

If you have agreed everything with your ex
The 'everything' is the crucial question though.

Many couples focus on the family home since that's generally the largest and most visible asset; but there are a number of other significant issues that need to be resolved also. My concern is that posters should be aware that home / mortgages are not the only thing they need to look at.

Even if a couple agree on every issue - they still need to consult a family law solicitor.

Nothing is settled until everything is settled.

Last edited:
My concern is that posters should be aware that home / mortgages are not the only thing they need to look at.
Pensions can be overlooked. Retirement could be thirty years away but a pension adjustment order for some or all of a spouse's pension fund can be part of the settlement.

I know of a divorce where husband paid off the negative equity of €40k but got a full pension adjustment order for wife's pension fund of about the same amount. In the long run he will do much better out of this deal I think.

Where do you get “good advice” in this type of situation? What professional do you go to? Financial advisor, solicitor, other?
It will depend on many factors really but the best advice I got was actually from the legal aid board. Even if you are not able to go through legal aid they can give you advice on the matter. No two situations are the same. Reading through threads on this board is great too as a lot of us have gone through separation/divorce etc.

Back